ALL SAINTS CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1228768
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, SUDBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALL SAINTS CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228768.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 15:58:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, SUDBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 89223 57309

Details

TL 85 NE BRADFIELD COMBUST SUDBURY ROAD

5/6 All Saints Church (Formerly listed as Church 14.7.55 of All Saints)

GV II*

Church, mediaeval, restored 1869. Nave, chancel, south aisle, north vestry, south porch. Flint rubble with freestone dressings; C18 repairs (date stone I.1721.H) with flint rubble and bands of red brick; alterations of 1869 with rounded flints, tile-stitching and brick rubble. Plaintiled roofs. North nave doorway has semi-circular inner arch, possibly Norman. South aisle added c.1300; 2-light hood-moulded south windows, hood-moulded south doorway, hood- moulded double piscina with adjacent dropped window cill seat, lancet west window and diagonal pedimented buttresses. Triple nave arcade, c.1300, has double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, with moulded capitals and bases. Plain chamfered C13 or C14 doorways in north nave and north and south chancel walls. Piscina in chancel late C14, heavily restored c.19. Nave roof rebuilt c.1500, with principal rafters, arch-braced collars and arch-braced tie-beams, moulded cornice, purlins and ridge. 3-light east aisle window inserted early c.16. Open gabled timber-framed south porch added 1861. Alterations c.1869 include: reconstruction of east chancel wall, with 3-light window in mid-c.14 style; west nave wall with elaborate limestone bell-cote on parapet-gable; parapet-gabled vestry; scissor-braced coupled rafter chancel roof; king-post and tie-beam aisle roof. C15 wall-paintings on north nave wall above doorway, with large figures of St. Christopher and of St. George and the Dragon. C12 limestone font with circular shaft and chamfered square bowl with scalloped soffit, some C15 sunk tracery carved on one face. The C19 organ seat is converted from a section of traceried C15 oak screen. Stained glass of c.1850 in most windows; the south chancel window reuses some c.15 glass. A wall tablet in chancel to Arthur Young of Bradfield Hall (d.1759) with apron, crown and flanking scrolls; 5 simple white marble wall tablets in chancel and vestry to members of his family, d.1785-1851.

Listing NGR: TL8922357309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403228
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08224/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Gateshill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].