CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1229677
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1229677.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 14:46:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Winwick
National Grid Reference:
SP 62569 73864

Details

WINWICK SP67SW 10/187 Church of St. Michael 18/01/68

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14, Chancel by E.F. Low c.1853. Squared coursed and regular coursed lias with lead and plain tile roof. Cruciform plan with west tower. Chancel: South elevation of 3-window range of lancets, north elevation similar of 2-window range with projecting lean-to vestry. Triple lancet with quatrefoil above east window. Steeply pitched roof with ashlar gable parapet. South transept of 2-window range of lancets to east and west and 2-light window to south. Shallow-pitch roof with ashlar parapets. North transept similar. Nave: South elevation of 3-window range of 2-light clerestory window and one 2-light window at lower level. South porch, probably C19, has gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. North elevation similar with two 2-light windows at lower level. Shallow-pitched nave roof with ashlar parapets. Perpendicular west tower of 4 stages with 3-light west window in lowest stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings with castellated parapet above. Interior: Double chamfered chancel and transept arches with octagonal responds. Triple-chamfered tower arch with octagonal respond. C19 coloured floor tiles to chancel. C19 roof structures in nave and chancel, that in nave has carved bosses with angels. C14 roof trusses in transepts. Monuments: North transept, Sir William Craven died 1707; large marble tablet flanked by columns supporting entablature with putti above; central armorial device with urn above. To left similar tablet to Maria Craven by Samuel Huskisson 1736 has attached columns with open pediment above. Central winged cherub with armorial device above. Black leger stones, also to Sir William Craven, at chapel steps are by Edward Stanton. C13 tomb recess also in south transept. Various C19 marble tablets in the nave. Barrel organ in south transept probably C19 by William Prowse. Font by Rickman 1821, octagonal bowl on panelled stern with angel heads under bowl. C19 stained glass to east window, north-east and south-east nave windows and north transept east windows. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p,463),

Listing NGR: SP6256973864

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404470
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 463

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05834/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].