CHURCH OF ST ALBAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1230254
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALBAN, CHURCH BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ALBAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230254.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:01:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALBAN, CHURCH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tattenhall
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48639 58611

Details

SJ 45 NE TATTENHALL C.P. CHURCH BANK

5/96 Church of St. Alban.

1/3/1967

GV II*

Church: core and tower early C16, restored and remodelled 1869-70 by John Douglas. Ashlar red sandstone, green slate roof. 4-bay nave, 5-bay aisles, 2-bay chancel, 3-stage west tower and south porch. Timber-framed porch has 4-centred arched entrance and delicately carved brackets, spandrels and barge boards. Aisle bays divided by buttresses have broad 3-light windows with 3-centred heads. 5-light Perpendicular style east window under label mould. Tower has diagonal buttresses, cyma moulded west doorcase and a 3-light west window, breaking a band of carved heads, with a crocketted ogee label mould, flanked by pairs of initialled shields below, empty niches above. Similar 3-light louvred bell openings and gargoyles support an embattled parapet. Interior: 4-bay arcades on octagonal piers has a low clerestorey with 3-light windows. Broad chancel arch on stiff-leaf corbels. Good Victorian stone reredos and stained glass with window by Kempe in south aisle of 1896. Fine brass chandelier dated 1755.

The tower closely resembles that at All Saints, Handley (q.v.) and must be by the same mason.

Listing NGR: SJ4863958611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
405170
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03145/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Len Shipley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].