Church of The Holy Cross

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1230544
Date first listed:
27-Jun-1963
Statutory Address:
Church of The Holy Cross, Six Ashes Road, Bobbington

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of The Holy Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230544.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:05:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of The Holy Cross, Six Ashes Road, Bobbington

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
South Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bobbington
National Grid Reference:
SO 80810 90550

Details

SO 89 SW 4/11

BOBBINGTON C.P. SIX ASHES ROAD (north-west side) Church of The Holy Cross

27.6.63

II*

Parish church. C12 core with minor C13 alterations, early. C14 addition and alterations, some minor C16 rebuilding and mid-C19 additions; restored 1878 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. There are four main phases of masonry: roughly coursed rubble, probably C12; coursed and roughly squared large sandstone blocks of the early C14; C16 ashlar and C19 rock faced ashlar. Plain tile roof with coped verges. Four-bay nave and single-bay vestry in one, north aisle and vestry in one, south-west porch tower.

South-west tower: mid-C19. Three stages marked by strings, pilaster buttresses at the outer angles die into the tower immediately above the level of the first string; dentilled eaves and low pitch pyramidal roof which gives the tower a strangely Italianate look. Pointed south door with three roll-moulded orders, the central one has a fillet; roll-moulded dripstone with block stops. Paired second stage lancets; two-light belfry window with plate tracery.

Nave: on the south side a C19 lancet and 2 two-light pointed windows of 1878 with Decorated tracery in a style of circa 1290. Tall two-light west window of 1878 with Decorated tracery. Between nave and north aisle a C19 buttress. The west gable has been rebuilt possibly as a result of the 1878 restoration.

Chancel: early C14. Diagonal buttresses to the eastern corners. South door with ogee arch. North and south windows with Y-tracery; C19 east window of three lights with cusped intersecting tracery and scrollmoulded dripstone with block stops. The east gable has also been rebuilt possibly in the C19.

North aisle and vestry: four north windows of similar character but of three different dates. Each consists of two trefoil headed lights with sunken spandrels. The easternmost is C19 and belongs to the vestry extension of 1858; the next window to the west is C14; the other two are C16 but the easternmost was restored in 1878. At the west end a C13 lancet, at the east end a painted vestry door and a diagonal buttresses at the corner.

Interior: C12 nave arcade of semi-circular single step arches on cylindrical columns with multi scalloped capitals and square abaci (c.f. Church of St. Mary [q,v. Enville c.p.]); the easternmost capital remains uncut. Early C14 pointed chancel arch with quarter-round moulded orders and engaged semi-octagonal piers with moulded bases and faceted capitals. C19 nave roof with tie beams and arch braced collars and king-struts and king-posts between tie beams and collars and collars and ridge piece. Another C13 lancet at the east end of the north aisle, this now looks into the vestry. C19 lean-to roof over the aisle. C19 collar rafter roof over the chancel with straight braces to the collars; arch braces to the centre truss and to each end truss.

Fittings: C14 octagonal stone font with blind trefoil headed arcade to basin. Iron bound oak chest hewn out of a single log, probably C13. In the porch a C13 stone effigy of a civilian.

Monuments: Edward and Ann Corbett, erected in 1735, bracketed aedicular tablet with fluted pilasters and broken pediment and a coat of arms; wooden tablet to Edward Careswell, died 1690; tablet to Joseph Stokes, died 1806, reeded pilasters, capped by an urn on a pedestal; elaborate cartouche to To Thomyns Dickins, died 1701; tablet to Mary and Hannah Corbett, died 1792 and 1799, made by W. Stephens of Worcester; tablet to Edward Corbett, erected in 1767 by Charles Corbett, and next to it Charles Corbett's own tablet, he died in 1786; both appear to have come from the same workshop.

Listing NGR: SO8081090550

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
405288
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1984), 75
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 75-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/02131/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Hadley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].