Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230687.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:31:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Charnwood (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 60051 15174



SK 61 NW HIGH STREET (West Side) 4/156 1.6.66 Church of St. Mary


Church. C13-C15, restored C19. Ashlar and granite rubble stone with parapetted roofs. Plinth, stone dressings and stepped buttresses mostly with gargoyles. Tracery mostly restored. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel, chancel chapels and S porch. Tower of 3 stages, ashlar to W, of C14/C15 with clasping buttresses and SW stair. Many moulded W doorway with fleurons in arch and renewed blank quatrefoils in spandrels over, 3-light W window with Perp tracery, 2-light flat-topped window over, 4 paired 2-light bell openings with battlemented transoms, quatrefoiled lozenge frieze, battlements, gargoyles and shafted and crocketted pinnacles. Clock face to E (in centre of bell opening) and to N. Inside are arches to aisles and tall nave arch, all double chamfered on semi-circular responds. Late C13 N arcade of 3 bays (E wider) with many moulded arches on quatrefoil piers. Hood mould. Nail head and dog tooth decoration. c1300 3 bay S arcade with double chamfered arches on circular piers. Perp clerestory with 4 3-light windows either side. Restored 4 bay low-pitch crancked tie-beam roof, wall posts and curved braces from stone carved head corbels with wooden figures over. Carved bosses. N aisle has N doorway, W window with Intersected tracery, 3 N windows with Curvilinear and Reticulated tracery and double chamfered arch on octagonal responds into N chancel chapel, now organ chamber. Here N window with Perp tracery and NE window with Curvilinear tracery. Double chamfered chancel arch with hood mould and grotesque animal stops. Similar arches to chancel chapels, curving and semicircular responds. On N wall of chancel tomb recess with nail head decoration, small N door, archway to former rood, N window and 2 S windows with Curvilinear tracery. Similar E window with C19 mosaic reredos below. Tiled floor, probably Minton. C19 3 bay low pitch roof. Outside, the chancel has crocketted pinnacles and finial on E end gable. S chancel chapel has SE window with Curvilinear tracery and 2 S windows with Reticulated tracery and piscina with ogee arch. In S aisle 4 windows with Curvilinear tracery. Many-moulded S doorway arch with double shafts each side. 2 storey S porch with battlemented parapet and many-moulded arch to doorway with circular responds. Window over and to either side of porch. C12/C13 font, wall monument in coloured marble to Katherine Aynesworth, 1807, by Shenton, Hull and Pollard of Leicester, wall monument of 1886 to former Vicar, Georgian Royal Arms, painted on canvas, over chancel arch, and brass lectern, a memorial of 1929, and resited lead inscription tablet of 1727. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6005115174


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16454/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].