Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230760.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 15:59:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Staffordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 15428 44752


SK 14 SE; 6/85


Church of St John Baptist




Parish Church. Late C12 core extended and remodelled in early C14, west tower added 1515, north aisle rebuilt 1854. Coursed and squared large stone blocks with ashlar dressings; lead-covered lean-to roof to south aisle, clay tile roof with shaped tile bands and coped verges to north aisle. West tower with diagonal buttresses, 3-bay nave, 3-bay chancel, north and south aisles and south porch.

West tower: Dated 1515; three stages; Tudor arch west doorway with moulded surround, returned hoodmould and board and battened door, inscription (now illegible) and date over; pointed west window above with deeply hollowed recess, three trefoil-headed lights and central cinquefoil-headed light above, hoodmould terminating in animals; second stage is marked by a string, the west side is blank, the south side has paired pointed loops and a clock above, clock to north side; belfry openings of two trefoil-headed lights with super mullions above flanking a quatrefoil, hoodmould over; crenellated parapet with corner and central pinnacles, gargoyle to north and south sides. South aisle: Early C14; two windows; that to east has three lancet lights under a pointed arch, and a hoodmould terminating in animal heads, that to the west has intersecting tracery; central gabled porch of c1600, buttressed to each side with round arch and door to late C12 south door, flanked by nook shafts with water leaf capital to left and scalloped capital to right from which springs a round arch decorated with pellets and three-dimensional zig-zag ornament, these elements may have been re-set. North aisle: Rebuilt 1854; three windows, those to east and west have two ogee trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil above, both have hoodmoulds stopped with heads, the central window is inspired by the eastern south aisle window and has a hoodmould, terminating in leaf motifs. Chancel: Early C14 with scalloped C18 parapet returned up east gable; north and south windows have Y-tracery, all have hoodmoulds terminating in busts, except those to east and west on the south side where the hood-moulds are simply returned, the central window on the south side is flanked by multi-cusped gabled buttresses, the central window on the north side has a roll-moulded rather than chamfered mullion, and is flanked by gabled buttresses with fleur-de-lys decoration; the east window has three ogee-headed lights with reticulated tracery above and a hoodmould terminating in busts; diagonal buttresses to both east corners, that to the N.E. corner matches the buttresses on the north side, that to the S.E. corner matches those on the south side; parapet string and late C18 shaped parapet; lead rainwater head to south side.

INTERIOR: Nave arcade of three round arches, those of the south arcade stand on cylindrical columns and have square abaci, whereas those of the north arcade are clustered columns forming a quatrefoil plan and have octagonal abaci; mainly volute capitals, that to west end of south aisle has carved faces, also a scalloped capital and a broad leaf capital; Early C14 chamfered pointed chancel arch springing from semi-octagonal engaged columns with moulded capitals; tall, pointed tower arch with chamfered jambs and arch; C20 nave roof, very low pitch, cambered tie beam supported on short braced beams projecting from wall plate level, ridge piece and single pair of purlins; chancel roof probably C15, very low pitch, cambered tie supported by short posts standing on corbels, ridge piece and single pair of purlins, tie beam, ridge piece, purlins and rafters are all moulded; piscina at east end of South aisle with simple pointed arch, and in chancel with trefoiled head. FITTINGS: Stone font dated 1514, octagonal base, octagonal moulded pedestal, octagonal bowl; reused C17 carved oak box pews incorporated in C19 bench pews, some retain initials and an inscription, i.e. "SEATES FOR THE CHIEFE LORD", "N:W", "W:H:A:S:H:H:R:A", "T:E:GL"; C17 hexagonal carved oak pulpit; C17 carved oak lectern; chancel has C17 carved oak panelling; 3-sided oak communion rail of c1660, ornately carved with barley sugar balusters; ornately carved Cl7 oak altar table; two commandment boards flanking east window . MONUMENTS: Marble memorial plaque in South aisle to Thomas Ley died 1795, flanked by ribbed scrolls with cornice and urn above draped with a cloth; marble memorial plaque in South aisle to John Brock died 1825, corbelled base, moulded cornice and coat of arms above; brass memorial plaque to Sarah Evans died 1749.

Listing NGR: SK1542344752


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/05543/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alfred John Dyson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].