Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231569.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 20:55:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 80087 67185



5/48 Church of St Peter



Parish Church,on mediaeval site, circa 1717 with alterations in the Romanesque style by J M Derrick 1846 and some Gothic Revival work 1865 (Pevsner). Red brick in Flemish bond, stone and timber framing with plastered panels. Stone slate and Welsh slate roofs. 4 bay nave, 2 bay chancel. The C18 brick west tower has an oak boarded door in a rebated semi-circular arched opening. There is a projecting brick band above the door on which sits a stone dressed semi-circular arched window with responds, keystone, single wooden mullion and lattice glazing. The window is surmounted by a clock in diamond shaped wood frame. At bell stage there is a second brick band and stone dressed semi-circular arched openings with louvres to the four faces of the tower. There is brick parapet with stone coping and vase finials to the corners. Weather vane on high standing metal support. The north aisle wall is brick and has three replaced segmental arched windows with single mullion and lattice glazing. Above there are three plain rectangular clerestory lead glazed windows set in timber framing. The stone slate roof of the chancel continues as a catslide over the aisle but this is broken by a gabled dormer, with elliptical window, surmounting a boarded door flanked by two more elliptical windows. The chancel quoins are rusticated. The chancel window is large and square with three wood mullions and lattice glazing. The roof of the chancel also sweeps down over the south aisle and there is an oak boarded door in dowelled oak frame flanked by 2 or 3-light oak lattice glazed easements. The south aisle wall is C19 coursed squared rubble, it has a blocked door opening, three lancets with high ogee transomes and a window with three ogee headed lights. This aisle has pitched grey slate roof and solid parapet with weathered coping. Interior: The chancel is separated from the aisles by timber posts, supporting trusses, and the nave by arcade piers, in the Norman style, with early French style Gothic capitals. Stone chancel arch, rebated both sides. Panelled reredos to aise eaves level. Altar rail, of turned balusters, returns both sides to define the aisles. Four Gothic monuments set in recess in the south aisle walls. Black painted commandment boards on north aisle wall. Stone font in Norman style. Chancel roof has trusses with cambered arch braced tie beams and king posts to high collars. Three runs of purlins with curved wind braces, the post-supported wallplates become the upper plates of the aisle catslide roofs. The nave roof has two king post trusses, single purlins and exposed rafters.

Listing NGR: SJ8008767185


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08748/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J M Pickering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].