CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1231620
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, RED LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231620.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:56:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, RED LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Disley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 97473 84510

Details

SJ 97 84 DISLEY C.P. RED LANE (South Side)

7/40 Church of St. Mary

27/11/1963

GV II*

Church: West tower and porch 1527-1558, remainder 1824-1835 with aisles of 1828 by Thomas Lee of Barnstaple. Coursed, buff sandstone rubble with sandstone-dressings and a lead roof. West porch and tower, nave and 2 aisles of 4 bays and 1-bay chancel. West tower of 4 stages, with angle buttresses and castellated parapet showing the bases of 8 pinnacles. Surmounted by ornate wrought iron weather vane moved from Stockport parish church. West window of 3 lights with straight mullions and 3-light louvred bell opening with each light round-headed. Sundial on south face. Porch originally on south of nave, also castellated with crocketted pinnacles and a central cross. Entrance under slightly pitched plain lintel. Aisles have buttresses dividing the bays of 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, and castellated as porch. Clerestorey has 3-light lancet windows in square, bevelled openings. Chancel is as the aisles but for 3-light mullioned and transomed east window with trefoil cusped heads in each element (probably later C19 addition). Interior: Arcades of 4 bays on plain octagonal piers supporting 4-centred arches. Wooden galleries in arcades and behind tower. Original early C16 wooden ceiling, over nave, has heavily moulded, slightly cambered tie beams, with applied foliage and angels at their centres, sprung from moulded wooden corbels. At the intersection of the other minor moulded members are flat floral bosses and at the ceiling's centre a ram's head (arms of the Legh family). Aisle and clerestory windows have panels of medieval continental glass with fine Dutch/Swiss east window, dated 1535, depicting scenes from the life of Christ. The original glass was moved to Lyme Park (q.v.) in 1835. Fine Gothic, painted and gilded organ case of 1836 by Samuel Renn. White marble memorial plaque to Thomas Legh, signed A. Gatley Rome 1858. Ornate Gothic stone pulpit and font both dated 1868.

Listing NGR: SJ9747384510

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406499
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/01095/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Holcroft. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].