HUDDERSFIELD TOWN HALL INCLUDING WALL AND RAILINGS TO AREA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1231723
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
HUDDERSFIELD TOWN HALL INCLUDING WALL AND RAILINGS TO AREA, RAMSDEN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231723.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 10:49:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
HUDDERSFIELD TOWN HALL INCLUDING WALL AND RAILINGS TO AREA, RAMSDEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 14464 16391

Details

RAMSDEN STREET 1. 5113 (South Side) Huddersfield Town Hall, including wall and railings to area SE 1416 SW 3/1133 II 2. Built in 2 parts, the lower part (to Ramsden Street) 1875-6, the higher part (to Princess Street) 1878-81. Architect of the latter: J H Abbey. Ashlar. 2 storeys, and basement. Earlier part. Moulded eaves cornice, taken on stone brackets along facade. Parapet along facade, with panelled dies, the 2 central ones taller and crowned with urns: they flank the Borough Arms. Ground floor horizontally rusticated and surmounted by entablature. Continuous moulded impost band on 1st floor. 7 window ranges, those on 1st floor round-arched, with keystones and moulded voussoirs, those on ground floor segment-headed and set in recessed panels, with fielded panels in aprons. Steps up to door. Porch in antis, flanked by paired columns taking full entablature with parapet. Area has cast iron railings with ornamental finials at either end, but low wall in front, and piers with fielded panels, moulded cornices and urns on top. Later part. Full entablatures to ground and 1st floors, both modillioned, eaves cornice dentilled as well. Panelled parapet with moulded coping. Ground floor has horizontally rusticated angle piers. 1st floor has a giant Corinthian order. 3 ranges of windows, round-arched with sculpted masks on keystones, moulded voussoirs and impost bands. Ground floor windows and central 1st floor window are sub-divided by a slender colonnette taking 2 round arches with oculus in spandrels. Sculpted panels above flanking 1st floor windows. Central bay breaks forward and is crowned with segmental pediment. Round-arched porch in antis, flanked by paired pilasters taking consoles to cornice. 9 ranges of sashes in side elevations, end bays breaking forward and crowned by segmental pediments. Interior. Concert Hall (in later part) decorated in monumental style, viz, giant pilasters, coved ceiling with moulded stress beams, apsed organ recess, gallery on iron columns, 2 upper galleries, windows with large keystones with masks. Extremely lavish stucco ornament on front of balconies, spandrels of windows, in frieze and on soffits of ceiling beams. Lavish stucco ornament to ceilings and arches elsewhere in building, and elaborate wooden door surrounds. Staircase with elaborately twisted iron balusters. The Town Hall opened in 1881 with a 3 day festival in which Sir Charles Halle said that the Huddersfield Choral Society was the best he had ever conducted.

Listing NGR: SE1446416391

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406619
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/16040/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].