CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1231813
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HALL WALKS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231813.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 07:20:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HALL WALKS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Easington Village
National Grid Reference:
NZ 41428 43445

Details

NZ 44 SW EASINGTON HALL WALKS (South side)

7/11 Church of St. Mary

20.2.67 1



Parish church. Romanesque tower, remainder of church early C13. Extensive restoration in 1853 by P.C. Hardwick. Sandstone and limestone rubble masonry. Steeply-pitched green slate roof. Square west tower, aisled nave, chancel and north chapel. Long, low proportions.

4-stage west tower defined by bands. Fragment of Cl0-11 grave slab in base of west wall. Romanesque masonry up to and including corbel table. 2 round-arched openings and later battlemented parapet. 2 massive C14 diagonal buttresses. Pointed doorway of 1853 in south wall.

West ends of aisles have single lancets and buttresses added to support tower arch. C19 aisle windows, mainly in Perpendicular style but some Geometrical, have original rear-arches; similar C19 windows in chancel and 5 stepped lancets at east end with quatrefoil above. East aisle return has original 2-light window with Geometrical tracery. Nave clerestory has 4 small, irregularly-spaced lancets. North aisle and clerestory similar.

Chancel has double-chamfered plinth and, except for north wall, was rebuilt in 1853 using original materials. 3 bays divided by pilaster buttresses; east end has clasping buttresses. South wall has 2-light low-side window with Y-tracery under pointed hoodmould. 2-bay north chapel has 2-light lancets with Y-tracery.

Interior: early Romanesque double-chamfered tower arch. Double-chamfered pointed nave arcades with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Keeled east and west responds. 3 columns alternating round and octagonal, order reversed between north and south aisles. Bases and capitals follow plan of columns: octagonal columns have waterholding bases and capitals with nailhead decoration; 2 of the round columns have leafy capitals. Mid C19 arch-braced crown-post roof has embattled tie-beams. 2 steps up to wide double-chamfered chancel arch on semi-octagonal moulded corbels. East end has detached shafts of Frosterly marble between lancets; flanking blank niches. Barrelled chancel roof.

Furnishings: 48 mid C17 pew ends with deep relief carving and poppyheads in the style of Bishop Cosin's craftsmen. Chancel screen has some mid C17 traceried panelling. Reredos largely mid C17 has carved panels and a crocketed canopy. C19 font on probably medieval moulded base and stepped round plinth.

Monuments: Well-preserved C14 recumbent female effigy in Frosterly marble. Late C13 recumbent freestone effigy of a knight in armour with a shield showing 3 popinjays, possibly Marmaduke Fitz Galfrid of Horden.

(Rev. H.E. Savage, "Easington Church", Archaeologia Aeliana, New Series, Vol XVll 1895)

Listing NGR: NZ4142843444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407053
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 17, (1895)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01252/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].