BRITANNIA BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1232119
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
BRITANNIA BUILDINGS, ST GEORGES SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRITANNIA BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232119.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2020 at 02:58:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRITANNIA BUILDINGS, ST GEORGES SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 14431 16847

Details

ST GEORGE'S SQUARE 1. 5113 Britannia Buildings SE 1416 NW 1/1158 II* GV 2. 1856. Architect Sir William Tite. Ashlar sandstone. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys. North front: Deeply moulded eaves cornice with scrolled brackets, between which are paterae or very rich festoons above each window range. Balustrade with moulded rail, vase-shaped balusters, and panelled piers with elaborate gadrooned urns. In centre parapet is segment-shaped, bears Royal Arms sculpted in high relief and above it a huge sculpture of Britannia. Acanthus decorated cornice above 1st floor. 13 ranges of sashes with glazing bars. Rusticated quoins, verniculated on ground and 1st floors. Ground floor has 6 plate glass windows with bronze mullions, installed in the 1920's with a sandstone ashlar surround in the contemporary neo-Classical manner, eclectic enough, however, to include motifs as varied as fasces combined with a Tudor rose, Egyption asps and Aztec spread eagles. 1st floor windows have cills on 4 scrolled brackets each, moulded frames, Tuscan half pilasters, full entablatures, and triangular modillioned pediments. Central window tripartite, in surround of Tuscan pilasters and entablature, breaking forward around central light, which has 1/4 columns, moulded frame, segmental head, and above this sunk panels disposed radially beneath segmental pediment, which in turn supports apron of window above it. 2nd floor windows have moulded frames, segmental heads and keystones with sunk panels between them. Panels flanking central window have elaborately carved flowers and scroll-shaped brackets. Other elevations are simplified versions of north front with 2 differences. 1. On St Peter's Street and Station Street the end bays break forward to create a pavilion composition on the corner. 2. Ground floor was not altered in 1920's and therefore gives some idea of Tite's original design for north front. At its most elaborate (John William Street side) ground floor elevation is as follows: horizontally rusticated plinth with plain ashlar recesses below each window: 7 ranges of round-headed sashes: rusticated and vermiculated quoins and voussoirs very boldly sculpted masks on each keystone (and one more on Station Street side) sculpted floral ornament in panels below each sill. Central bay breaks forward. Tuscan pilasters with alternately vermiculated courses, entablature and modillioned cornices frames 2 parts; the lower part is a doorway, filled in by a display case in the 1920's, segment-headed, with bolection moulding, keystone and modillioned cornice: upper part is a round-arched sash in concave recess, with rusticated voussors and quoins and very boldly sculpted mask on keystone. "John William Street," "St Peter's Street" and S"Station Street" are inscribed in good Egyptian lettering on their respective fronts. Much fine classical detailing inside probably dates from 1920's remodelling. History: Built on the first site reserved by Sir John William Ramsden, 5th Bart, for the Town Hall. When in 1853 this scheme (designed by J P Pritchett) was blocked by the Municipal Authority, Sir John proposed a Post Office for the site. This in turn was opposed by the Government Architect, so the site became vacant.

Listing NGR: SE1443116847

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407016
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11904/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].