CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1232253
Date first listed:
27-Jun-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SCHOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232253.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:01:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SCHOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
South Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Trysull and Seisdon
National Grid Reference:
SO 85206 94263

Details

TRYSULL AND SEISDON C.P. SCHOOL ROAD (east side) SO 8494-8594 12/132 Church of All Saints, Trysull 27.6.63 GV II* Parish church. C12 in origin, but of this date only fragments remain; major works were carried out in the C13, C14 and C15, and in 1843-4 by Robert Ebbels; the church was restored in 1889 and in 1897 the tower was restored and a new porch built by F.W. Simon of Edinburgh. Sandstone ashlar; plain tile roofs with coped verges on shaped kneelers. West tower, 4-bay nave, north and south aisles, south porch, single-bay chancel, north-west vestry. Tower: C15, clasping buttresses, 2 off-sets, moulded parapet string and a crenellated parapet. West door of 1897, 5 roll-moulded orders, panelled spandrels and hood mould terminating in large heads. 2-light pointed belfry openings. North aisle: C13 but much restored, and extended eastwards by one bay in 1843-4. Bay divisions marked by buttresses. Lancet windows with trefoil cusping; below the westernmost window is a blocked door with round arch on corbels, possibly C12. 3-light east window, quatrefoil above. South aisle: circa 1300 but altered 1843-4. Buttresses at the bay divisions and clasping buttresses at the corners. 2-light pointed windows with Decorated tracery; east window has intersecting tracery with a quatrefoil above and in the gable a small lancet; C19 west window with cusped intersecting tracery. Gabled south porch, the north and south windows have square heads and Perpend- icular tracery. Pointed outer arch flanked by shafts with moulded bases and stiff leaf capitals. Vestry: 1843-4. A canted link between tower and north aisle. Diagonal buttresses, windows like the south windows of the south aisle, crenellated parapet. Interior: C13 north arcade with cylindrical columns, squat incised capitals and pointed chamfered arches. South arcade of circa 1300; pointed arches, octagonal columns with moulded bases and squat moulded capitals. At the junction of the two western arches, towards the south aisle, is a curved face. Semi-circular single step tower arch, probably C12. All windows have pointed rere arches with roll moulded surrounds. In the chancel is a piscina with rounded trefoil arch and a projecting basin. At the west end of the north aisle, over the vestry door is a C13 sculpture of a bishop under a pointed trefoil arch. 2 C15 roof trusses, each with 4 raking struts extending from a cambered tie beam to collar and principals. Fittings: next to the door, an iron bound chest hewned from a single oak log, probably C13. Stone font, probably C15, moulded base and pedestal, octagonal basin with quatrefoil panels. Above the tower with the royal coat of arms of 1817. Oak pulpit, early C17, blank arches and arabesque panels over. Road screen, C15 or early C16 with Flamboyant pierced panels. Monuments: Thomas Pudsey, died 1715, tablet with coat of arms and an urn; Samuel Peach, died 1801, obelisk with oval inscription plaque; Sarah Aston, died 1838, tablet capped by an urn. Stained glass: chancel east window of 1844 incorporates 2 late C14 figures, chancel north and south windows of 1857 by D. Evans of Shrewsbury depicting the 4 Evangelists. South aisle east window of 1856, south aisle west window of 1865; the south windows are early C19. B.O.E. pp. 286-7; V.C.H. p.194.

Listing NGR: SO8520694263

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407462
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1984), 194
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 286-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02045/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Hadley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].