Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232662.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 16:24:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Braintree (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 81272 46162


TL 84 NW PENTLOW PENTLOW LANE 2/204 Church of St. Gregory 21.6.62 & St George (formerly listed as Church of St George) GV I

Parish Church. C12 with later alterations including circa 1886 restorations. One of six round towered churches in Essex. Flint rubble, stone dressed. North Chapel rebuilt late C16 of rendered brick with crow stepped gables. C19 restorations when the south porch was added. Early C14 crenellated west tower. Red plain roofs. Chancel terminates in a semi-circular apse. C19/20 east window of 2 ogee lights with tracery over. C14 splays and rear arch. North wall late C16 4 centred arch of double chamfered order with chamfered responds. South wall 2 restored C14 2 light windows with pointed heads. Between them is a doorway, C19/20 with chamfered jambs and 2 centre arch. C15 Chancel arch is 2 centred of 2 moulded order with attached moulded and crenellated shafts. West face with moulded label and carved head at apex. C19/20 stops. Nave North wall has 2 windows matching those in South wall of Chancel. Between them is the C19/20 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2 centred arch over which are signs of the original Norman arch. To the East there is a C19/20 3 light window with flat head. South wall with two 2 light windows in 2 centred heads, one is C19/20 the other C14 restored and a 3 light round headed window with flat label over. South doorway matches N doorway. In the west wall is a C12 doorway of 2 orders, the outer moulded the inner plain. At the apex is a stone carved muzzled bear. Jambs with circular attached shafts with scalloped and carved capitals, square carved abacus and moulded base. The North East angle is splayed and may contain a staircase to the former rood loft. North Chancel East wall C15 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery over in a 2 centred head. Circa 1600 north window of 3 four centred lights under a square head. Circa 1600 doorway with moulded 4 centred arch. West Tower, ground floor North and South small restored wind eyes west C19/20 restored 2 light window in 2- centred head with label. First floor 3 rectangular windows. Bell Turret. Facing North, East, and West are restored early C14 windows of 2 lights in 2 centred heads. Facing South is a restored C14 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights under a 2-centred head. C19 South porch has a 4 centred doorway, moulded label and face stops. Cross below apex. 2 light windows with pointed heads to East and West walls. Internally C19 7 cant Nave roof, with moulded wall plates and 2 crenellated tie beams matching Chancel roof but with one tie beam and a King post. South West window inserted as a memorial after 1914-18 War. Piscina C14 with trefoiled head. Niches in North Chapel over North doorway in Nave in North wall with rounded back and pointed head. 2 in South wall, one with round head one obtuse triangular head. All possibly C16. Stoup in Nave - plain of uncertain date. Monuments In Chancel. Table tomb. Panels with shields to panels of Edward Felton dcd 1542 and his wife Frances. In North Chapel a very fine altar tomb with recumbent effigies of Judge George Kempe, 1606, John Kempe his son 1609 and Elinore (Drewe) his wife, the men in furred robes and the woman in ruff and elaborate head-dress. On south side, 10 kneeling daughters in dresses and ruffs and 4 kneeling sons wearing cloaks. The North Chapel roof has billet ornament to wall plate and a fine barrel vaulted moulded ceiling c1600. Floor slab John and Katherine Kempe 1739. Communion Table C17 with turned legs and moulded upper rails. Communion rails. C17/18 with twisted balusters and moulded rails. Similar balusters re-used in C19/20 stalls. Font Early C12. Square with attached corner shafts, moulded bases and scalloped capitals. Elaborately carved interlaced ornamentation to 3 sides. Fourth side probably carved but now against wall, on a square C19/C20 flint base. Font Cover Spire shaped with 7 sides exposed. Traceried and crocketed panels divided by pinnacles and buttresses. 3 lower panels made to open. Restored, originally C15. Chest Plain, with curved lid. Iron bound. Probably C16. Glass Chancel East window C14. Pulpit Circa 1889 with ogee tracery. Hatchments 2 in Nave and 1 in South Chapel. Bells One by John Thornton 1711, two 1665, one 1635 and one 1628. These 4 by Miles Gray. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8127246162

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 12 January 2017 from
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/09043/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Wayne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].