CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1232793
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET
Statutory Address:
THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232793.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 05:41:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET
Statutory Address:
THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Ashford (District Authority)
Parish:
Brabourne
National Grid Reference:
TR 10360 41678

Details

TR 14 SW BRABOURNE THE STREET (south side)

5/29 Church of St. Mary 27.11.57

GV I

Parish church. Late C12 on a considerable scale, due to ownership of Horton Priory, with C13 south aisle, C14 chapel, C15 fenestration and top to tower. Restored late C19. Flint, with ragstone, with plain tiled roof. Nave with west tower, south aisle and north porch. Chancel with south chapel. Three stage west tower, the top stage a C15 rebuilding in squared ragstone. Large 5 times offset buttresses to south. Label headed belfry openings, C19 Perpendicular style west window, and shafted C12 west doorway with roll mould and hood. Three offset buttresses to south aisle, with raised brick eaves, restored C14 2 light with quatrefoil window. Sharply pointed roll moulded south doorway. Nave clerestorfy with 3 lancets on string course. South chapel with C14 fenestration with encircled cinquefoils over cinquefoiled lights, with hoodmoulds on carved heads. Chancel with pilaster strip buttresses, 4 light Perpendicular east window with string course and gable cross. Two round headed lancets in north wall, and unusual priest's doorway, with billet moulded outer order, the 3rd innermost order with three lobed pendant suspended from convex tympanum. Nave north wall with 3 light Perpendicular window. Timber north porch with moulded bargeboard with pendant with double boarded doors and mullioned sidelights. The inner door with overlapped boards and strap hinges in double wave-moulded doorway with hood and decayed water stoup. Interior: large plain C12 tower arch with pointed C12 inner arch with moulded abaci; rebated lancet openings to clerestorey and roof of 4 crown posts. South arcade of 3 bays of double chamfered arches on round piers of Bethersden marble with deeply undercut capitals. Identical arch from south aisle to south chapel. Roll moulded string course in south aisle, raised over doorway, and lean-to roof. Large chancel arch with nook shafts and voluted capitals and abaci with carved head stops. Roll moulded and billet moulded arch and hood. Chancel with string course enriched with fleur-de-lys and dogtooth. The attached shafts to north and south resting on this stringcourse, and twisted capital in south-west corner, indicate original intention to vault the chancel. Present roof of crown posts, the easternmost bay ceiled. Reveal of C13 lancet, blocked since construction of C14 south chapel. Two C14 segmentally headed tomb recess/through arches to south chapel, with wave mould and head stops, and integral depressed arched doorway. Chapel, with exposed jambs of earlier external indows to west and north walls and lean-to roof. Fittings: reredos and altar chancel, raised c.1600 as a memorial to the Scott family, with 5 bay arcaded reredos with Ionic pilasters and frieze and altar, with the progress of the family's Arms from 1290 to 1562. Three cartouches at top with Arms, the centre the full armorial bearings. Inscription: The memorial of the just shall be blesed but the name of the wicked shal rot. Made for Reginald Scott, founder of the Magic circles of England U.S.A. Roundheaded aumbrey in north wall. Restored trefoil headed piscina in square headed surround, part of the easternmost tomb recess between the chancel and south chapel. Cusped piscina in south chapel and aumbrey in north wall. C17 altar table with twisted legs and fillet moulded stretcher. C17 lecturn and octagonal pulpit, or C19 in C17 style. C20 brass chandeliers and screen to tower. Medieval quarter-log stairs in tower. Glass: chancel north window with original C12 floral glass, amongst the earliest surviving complete windows in the country. Monuments: Chancel: heart shrine, c.1300. Bethersden marble, with incised cross in circle and side indents (for mosaics or inscription). Trefoiled triangular back plate with ball flower and crockets and relief shield.. The heart it contained reputed to be William de Valence (d.1296) or John Balliol, founder of Balliol College. Sir John Scott, (comptroller of the Household to Edward IV) d.1485. Tomb recess on north wall. Traceried panelled chest with shields with fluted octagonal piers to traceried frieze and battlemented top. Grotesque enriched spandrels with ribbed soffit. The 2 tomb recesses in south wall now empty. South Chapel: hollow chamfered tomb recess for William Scott, who rebuilt the chapel (as Trinity Chapel) 1420-30 (see brasses). Small (child's?).coffin lid in floor with fleury calvary cross. C18 plaque with brass shield and an apparently Welsh inscription on north wall, and white marble architectural wall plaque on south wall to Arthur Scott, d.1756. Small black marble wall plaque in south aisle to William Richards, erected 1672, with Latin inscription in raised and fielded surround with scrolled and swagged cartouche and scrolled pediment. Nave north wall: Ellen - wife of John Richards, d.1720. Plaque with cornice and winged cherubs on apron. Two lead wall plaques on south aisle and north nave walls, identical, recording the churchwardens and restoration 1700, inscribed: T W , with relief roses and horses, recording T T Thomas Webb and Thomas Thompson

Brasses: In the south chapel: Sir William Scott, d.1433 (swordbearer to HV). Large brass of a knight, feet resting on a greyhound. Denis Harbord, d.1450. 35 inch brass of woman with flowing hair. Sir William Scott, d.1524, knight, 26 ½ inches. Dame Elizabeth Poynings, d.1528, 35 ½ inches. The jousting helm of Sir William Scott, c.1510, and that of Sir Thomas Scott, late C16 survive in chancel. Royal Arms of George II in south aisle. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983 155-7).

Listing NGR: TR1030441783

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408190
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 155-7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15092/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D Godden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].