CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232841
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST STEPHEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232841.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Aug-2020 at 08:28:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST STEPHEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wolsingham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 07347 37392

Details

WOLSINGHAM CHURCH LANE(North end) NZ 0737 Wolsingham 39/344 Church of St. Mary 31.1.67 and St. Stephen

GV II

Parish church; 1848 rebuilding by W. Nicholson, with changed dedication to St. Matthew, of C12 and C13 building; earlier dedication restored with 1896 reconsecration. 1856 tower heightened. Sandstone rubble tower, coursed squared sandstone C19 work, with ashlar plinth and dressings; roofs of graduated Lakeland slates with stone gable copings. Tower and 4-bay nave with clasping south aisle and south porch; north aisle and tower choir vestry; 4-bay chancel with north vestry and organ-chamber. Gabled porch has 2-centred-arched shafted surround to wrought-iron gate; flanking buttresses have setbacks and gablets; church door of studded boards with elaborate hinges; lancet windows, paired in clerestory and stepped in east end, have drip moulds with head or ballflower stops; west tower lancet through 2 stages, and proud of second stage. Tower, Norman to nave-roof level, of 3 stages with set-backs; small round-headed stair turret lights in west front; battlemented top stage has paired belfry openings under 2-centred-arched paired drip moulds. 1856 painted clock given by Miss Wilson and G.D. Wooler. Aisle and chancel buttressed; set-back buttresses to tower, angle buttresses to chancel. Overlapping gable copings with elaborate cross finials. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar arcades and dressings; scissor-truss roof on corbelled wall-posts. 4-bay C14 arcades have double- chamfered 2-centred arches on round piers; moulded capitals have band of small dog-tooth moulding; keeled responds. High 2-centred chancel arch of 2 orders on shafts and half-shafts with alternate-block jambs; east window has similar treatment, with clasping bands on shafts, and sill string. Norman west door, removed to north tower wall, has fat roll moulding on re-cut impost string and detached shafts with scallop capitals, recessed in plain round arch; inner arch chamfered. High 2-centred tower arch, with wide chamfer on quirk and half- pyramid stop, has chamfered inner arch on grotesque corbels; stopped drip mould of man's head at left and woman in headdress-at right. Memorials include classical tablet to Rev. Peter Ionn, erected by scholars: he was curate and schoolmaster; trophy of academic and priestly symbols. Classical tablet to Greenwell family by G. Green, Newcastle, c.1839; memorial tablet in tower resited from chancel, to Francis Ainsley nee Gilbert, died 1677, (in Latin). Glass includes north aisle windows by Atkinson of Newcastle; west end of south aisle to John and Jane Proud, died-1859 and 1866, Jacob's ladder by Holiday, of high quality.

Listing NGR: NZ0734737392

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408059
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01291/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Wilcockson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].