CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1233027
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1233027.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:10:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Weston-on-the-Green
National Grid Reference:
SP 53110 18580

Details

SP5318 WESTON ON THE GREEN CHURCH LANE (North side)

18/140 Church of St. Mary

07/12/66

GV II*

Church. Pre-Conquest, early C13, 1743 for Norreys Bertie, restored 1885 by R. Phene Spiers. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Nave, south porch and west tower. Wide 4-bay nave, with plinth and plain parapet rising from an ashlar band, has round-arched side windows with C19 plate tracery. Lead rainwater heads have elaborate cartouches of arms and are inscribed "NB/1743". The east wall of the nave is blank, except for a shield of arms, but retains traces of the former chancel, demolished early C19; much of the nave stonework appears to be re-used. C19 south porch with a round-arched entrance below an unglazed rose window, shelters the large south door with its very fine stone doorcase consisting of an eared architrave, a pulvinated oakleaf frieze with a lion mask, and outer guilloche strips rising to lion-mask consoles supporting an enriched triangular pediment. The lower stages of the 3-stage tower are probably pre-Conquest and include a blocked doorway on the south and, to west, a similar doorway and small window above (now cut by a lancet) plus a small opening at the second stage; bell-chamber stage has paired lancets within semi-circular outer arches and a C15 parapet of blind quatrefoils with angle gargoyles and the bases of pinnacles. Interior: the plaster doorcase has an egg-and-dart architrave, a frieze of arabesques springing from a scallop shell, and has consoles supporting a modillion cornice; it corresponds with the date of the nave whereas the outer case seems late C17. The plasterwork has affinities with exactly contemporary work at Kirtlington Park and may be by Roberts of Oxford. Chamfered Transitional tower arch has a C19 hood mould. C12 tub font with arcaded sides. Fittings include a large altarpiece by Pompeo Battoni, a large wrought-iron cross, (possibly C17 Spanish), and, below the tower, 2 carved medieval bench ends in a redundant C19 reredos and 2 detached carved stone heads. Monuments include a small brass of 1743 and a fine series of black marble C17 and C18 ledgers to members of the Norreys Bertie family, all with heraldic cartouches. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, pp.325-2; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.833).

Listing NGR: SP5311018580

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408440
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 833
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 325

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08509/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Tomasso. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].