MAIN BARRACK BLOCK AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, ST GEORGE'S BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1233824
Date first listed:
20-Apr-1983
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Feb-1999
Statutory Address:
MAIN BARRACK BLOCK AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, ST GEORGE'S BARRACKS, MUMBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN BARRACK BLOCK AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, ST GEORGE'S BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1233824 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 05:38:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAIN BARRACK BLOCK AND ATTACHED AREA RAILINGS, ST GEORGE'S BARRACKS, MUMBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Gosport (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 61714 00080

Details

GOSPORT SU 6100 MUMBY ROAD (South side) 1137-0/5/91 Main barrack block & attached area railings, St George's Barracks 20.4.83

GV II

Soldier's barracks, now offices. 1856-59. Yellow stock brick with stone dressings and stucco front, lateral stacks each end and to centre of a flat roof. Single depth rooms to axial plan. EXTERIOR: Single storey and semi-basement; 70-bay range. A very long, regular front with a full-length verandah to both levels, of concrete piers beneath the ground floor landing and cast-iron columns above to a concrete flat roof, and dogleg stairs to both levels at 6-bay intervals. Rubbed brick flat arches to doorways with overlights and 6-panel doors separated by pairs of 6/6-pane sashes. The rear has sashes to both levels. INTERIOR: Plain, with later divisions; the former barrack rooms for approx 12 men retain original fittings including locations for rifle butts, and some fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached cast-iron railings with panels with diagonal bars to both levels of the verandah, and to rear. HISTORY: This is the only example in the country of a highly developed design, combining cross-lit rooms with an external verandah, thereby answering some of the criticisms levelled at older barracks by contemporary barracks reformers. The verandah was used for wet weather exercising. The barracks were a transit station for infantry built after the Crimean War. They were designed to be bomb-proof, against mortar attack, because of their location just inside the Gosport Lines. This is the only example of this type of barracks in the country, forming a complete group with the Lines earthworks, and marking Gosport's importance in the defences around the Portsmouth dockyard. (Harfield A: The Gosport Barracks, sometimes known as "New Barracks": Gosport: 1988-: 16-21; Plans of the Barracks of England: South Western District: London: 1859-: 8).



Listing NGR: SU5870301371

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
409404
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harfield, A, The Gosport Barracks Sometimes Known As New Barracks, (1988), 16-21
Other
Title: Plans of the Barracks of England: South-Western District: London Source Date: 1859 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01920/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Bardell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].