CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1234873
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MANSFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234873.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:35:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MANSFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Ashfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 49254 60972

Details

SK 46 SE SKEGBY MANSFIELD ROAD (north side) 1/51 Church of St. Andrew II Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored, porch, aisles and vestry added 1870. Chancel rebuilt 1984. Coursed and squared rubble and dressed stone with lead and slate roofs. Ashlar dressings, chamfered plinth, moulded eaves, coped gables with crosses. Single gable stack with gabled cap. West tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, south porch. Unbuttressed west tower, 2 stages, has chamfered string course, eaves band and coped parapet with remains of 8 pinnacles. First stage has round headed window to south and to west, C19 double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould. Second stage has 4 round headed double openings. Clerestorey has moulded band and eaves with gargoyles, and coped parapet. On each side, 6 double chamfered lancets. North aisle, 3 bays, has clasping buttress to west. West end has C13 style double lancet with geometrical tracery, hood mould and stops. North side has 3 groups of 3 single lancets. South aisle, 3 bays, has gabled corner buttress to east and clasping buttress to west. East end has geometrical double lancet with hood mould and stops. West end has a similar lancet. To right of south porch, 2 groups of 3 single lancets. Chancel east end has early C15 transomed ogee headed double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. South side, 2 bays, has doorway and to right, plain double lancet in square headed reveal. Gabled vestry has a buttress at north west corner. North side, 2 bays, has a single lancet and to its right, double lancet. East end has round window containing 4 quatrefoils. Gabled south porch has 2 clasping buttresses and keel moulded doorway with shafts and hood mould with mask stops. Nave west end has string course and door with segmental head. North arcade, C13, 3 bays, has round piers with moulded bases, capitals and imposts. Arches double chamfered and rebated. South arcade, C14, 3 bays, has octagonal piers and responds with moulded capitals, that to east with ball decorations. 2 chamfered arches. Western arch chamfered and rebated. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs. North aisle east end has chamfered archway with C20 screen. South aisle east end has memorial stained glass c.1921. South side has C13 piscina on mask corbel and 2 windows with stained glass roundels. West end has stained glass memorial window, 1928. Chancel has chamfered round arch, 1870. North side has organ opening with C20 screen. To its right, late C14 double lancet with square headed reveal. East end has stained glass window by Kempe. South side has aumbry with C20 door. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and ashlar pieces. Fittings include semi-circular arcaded ashlar pulpit and octagonal font on moulded base, C19. C20 oak lectern. C19 benches with shaped ends. Mid C20 stalls and desks. Early C18 communion table with turned legs and C18 panel back armchair. Memorials include several incised cross slabs set into walls. Small figure of Priest with Latin inscription. Full size male and female effigies, c.1300, the man in the dress of a forester. Classical wall tablets 1768, 1797, 1804. Brasses 1719, 1800, 1915. Benefactions boards 1737 and 1851.

Listing NGR: SK4925460972

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
410944
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clay Dove, W , The Story of Skegby and Stanton Hill, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14400/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].