VIGO HOUSE VIGO HOUSE, EMPIRE HOUSE, WESTMORLAND HOUSE AND NEW GALLERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1235118
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
29-May-1992
Statutory Address:
VIGO HOUSE, 2-4, VIGO STREET W1
Statutory Address:
VIGO HOUSE, EMPIRE HOUSE, WESTMORLAND HOUSE AND NEW GALLERY, 115-131, REGENT STREET W1

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235118.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Jul-2020 at 03:57:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
VIGO HOUSE, 2-4, VIGO STREET W1
Statutory Address:
VIGO HOUSE, EMPIRE HOUSE, WESTMORLAND HOUSE AND NEW GALLERY, 115-131, REGENT STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29248 80724

Details

In the entry for: TQ 2980 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGENT STREET W1 70/87 (west side) Nos 115 to 131 (odd) Vigo House (including Nos 22.11.73 2 to 4 consec Vigo Street) Empire House, Westmorland House and front of New Gallery GV II The address and description shall be amended as follows: REGENT STREET W1 (west side) Nos 115 to 131 (odd) Vigo House (including Nos 2 to 4 consec Vigo Street) Empire House, Westmorland House and New Gallery Block of offices, shops and former cinema. 1920-25 by Sir J J Burnet, and Thomas Tait; cinema c1925 by C F Nicholas and J E Dixon-Spain for Provincial Cinematograph Theatres. The least Beaux Arts-influenced of the 1920s Regent Street facades, inventive classicism with slightly Deco details. Portland stone facings, slate roof. 5 storeys and attic. 14 bays with 3-bay curved corners surmounted by domes. Ground floor altered with mid and later C20 shop fronts but retaining central entrance with parabolic arched doorway to the New Gallery. Coupled metal casement windows with fine Deco bronze balconettes to 1st floor. Upper floors have recessed window bays with metal casements. The curved corners of the block have giant Tuscan engaged columns rising through 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors, carrying main entablature which runs across block. Above corners are short drums with sculptured figures by Reid Dick, surmounted by squat, rather Byzantine, copper domes. Deep blocking course across block with stepped chunky blocks. The green slate roof has copper gutters with bronze lion masks. The New Gallery includes an unusual and virtually complete survival of a 1920s silent cinema interior, including the oldest surviving Wurlitzer organ in Britain. Known as the New Gallery Cinema, it replaced and incorporated parts of a smaller 1913 cinema. Panelled auditorium with domed and coffered ceiling, balcony and rectangular grilles flanking the proscenium arch.

------------------------------------

TQ 2980 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGENT STREET Wl 70/87 (West side) Nos 115 to 131 (odd) Vigo House (including Nos 22.11.73 2 to 4 consec Vigo Street) Empire House, Westmor- land House and front of New Gallery. GV II Block of offices and shops. 1920-25 by Sir J. J. Burnet, and Thomas Tait. The least Beaux Arts influenced of the 1920s' Regent Street facades, inventive classicism with slightly Deco details. Portland stone facings, slate roof. 5 storeys and attic. 14 bays with 3 bay curved corners surmounted by domes. Ground floor altered with mid and later C20 shop fronts but retaining central entrance with parabolic arched doorway to the New Gallery. Coupled metal casement windows with fine Deco bronze balconettes to 1st floor. Upper floors have recessed window bays with metal casements. The curved corners of the block have giant Tuscan engaged columns rising through 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors, carrying main entablature which runs across block. Above corners are short drums with sculptured figures by Reid Dick, surmounted by squat, rather Byzantine, copper domes. Deep blocking course across block with stepped chunky blocks. The green slate roof has copper gutters with bronze lion masks.

Listing NGR: TQ2924880724

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425677
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/10830/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].