ST CHARLES' HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1235251
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1995
Statutory Address:
ST CHARLES' HOSPITAL, EXMOOR STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235251.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 16:47:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST CHARLES' HOSPITAL, EXMOOR STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kensington and Chelsea (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 23772 81889

Details

TQ 2381 NE 249-/9/10023

EXMOOR STREET St Charles' Hospital

II Hospital, built as the workhouse infirmary of the St Marylebone Board of Poor Law Guardians. 1879-81 by Henry Saxon Snell, assisted by his sons. Stock brick with minimal use of stone dressings, slate roof.

'Nightingale plan' of central administration block and kitchens (of two storeys, rising to four and five at rear with water tower over) flanked each side by two three-storey blocks of two seven-bay wards per floor (so-called 'paired wards') linked by spinal corridor and two-storey iron walkways at either end, the latter with columns enlivened by decorative spandrels and also decorative railings. Each ward originally had a nursing sister's room nearest the corridor and ablution facilities at its further end, these features treated respectively as projecting and separated bays. Three-storey entrance block of medical officers' dwellings either side of carriageway with double-height chapel over. Subsidiary chapel formerly serving the mortuary now the hospital chapel, a single-storey unit at east side of central block.

Dentiled brick cornice to all elements. All elevations with original sashes, mostly with stone sills and lintels, but the more prominent in the administration block and projecting bays are treated as lancets, sometimes paired or in threes, under brick hood-moulds with flat tympanum. Decorative treatment to the ablution bays at end of the wards also in ventilating towers with chequered brickwork and pyramidal roofs with tiny louvres set in timber dormers. These motifs repeated with even more gusto in the prominent central water-tower, which projects on brick corbels, with vertical banded decoration, stone cornices, lancet louvres treated as dormers in aediculed brick surrounds and pyramidal roof.

Entrance block with two bays of medical officers' accommodation having sash windows, those to top floor with pointed heads and joined by hood moulds, either side of broad carriage arch with chapel over. Chapel and officers' accommodation reached up external stair enclosed behind railing. Chapel with timber wagon roof and plate tracery, some now blocked in conversion to sports use in 1940s, decorated ridge piece with louvres, and ventilating finial. Blind arcading with moulded plaster decoration survives in interior, but most fixtures have been transferred to former mortuary chapel, including memorial stained glass to Horace J Potter, died 1924, by his brother Leonard; and to S J Cockrell, died 1934. Later mortuary building, detached to rear, is not of special interest.

Included as a fine example of a workhouse infirmary, the first hospitals paid for out of public funds following the Metropolitan Poor Law Act of 1867 permitting their erection in London. It is a skilled design using simple details and materials.

Source: Survey of London, North Kensington, vol. XXXVII, 1973, pp.330-1.

Listing NGR: TQ2376981897

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425888
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Northern Kensington: Volume 37, , Vol. 37, (1973), 330-1

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07414/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].