CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1235407
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST MARGARETS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235407 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 15:08:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST MARGARETS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Tintinhull
National Grid Reference:
ST 49851 19706

Details

Church of St Margaret, St Margaret's Road. 13/378 6/378

------------------------------------

Church of St Margaret, St Margaret's Road. 13/378 6/378

------------------------------------

TINTINHULL CP ST. MARGARET'S ROAD (West side) ST4919

13/378 Church of St. Margaret

19.4.61

GV I

Anglican parish church. C13 et seq but with little obvious C19 work. Ham stone rubble, some cut and squared ashlar dressings; stone slate roof to chancel, with coped east gable, and plain clay tiles to nave, with stepped coped gables with finials, behind plain parapets. Two-cell plan of 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, with north tower at nave/chancel junction, south porch, and C20 vestry at west end. Chancel mostly C13, with corner and bay buttresses with offsets, corbel table eaves course: east window a C19 4-centre arched 5-light with reticulated tracery; north and south sides have 2-light later C13 traceried windows, with plain stopped labels, with a pointed arched doorway with arched label under flat stone hood to west bay south side: some C17 and C18 memorial slabs against north wall. Nave similar in character, but with low parapets; single 3- light C15 window in hollowed recess on north side, which cuts across a former buttress, and a blocked pointed arched doorway opposite south porch; west window 5-light to match: on south side the east bay has a large C15 3-light window in hollowed recess with square-stop label, then a smaller C14 3-light window under headstop label, the south porch, and a tall slim 2-light flat-headed traceried window under square label, probably C14. South porch gabled, with side buttresses; moulded pointed C14 arch with square-stop label; inside a ribbed pointed vault of 2 bays, with side shafts and bosses, C14 work re-roofed in 1534; plain inner doorway with pointed arched niche over. The C20 west vestry (possibly by Sir Ninian Comper, who designed the churchyard cross (qv)) has a flat roof behind an angled coped parapet; plain leaded windows, door on south site. Tower C13, with top stage and turret stair of 1516-17, in 3 stages: corner buttresses to north face, also octagonal stair turret this side; lowest stage has triangular-arched doorway in east wall under square label, with slim trefoil-arched light over and also on west face; roll string mould, then pairs slim lancet windows to east and west faces, with plain rectangular window under on west side; stage 3 has groups of 3 lancets to match, over double string; plain parapet with gargoyles to string: door with steps up on north-west angle of stair turret. Inside, the chancel mostly C13 in character, but with early C20 king-post roof; side windows have fine semi-circular rere-arches with attached shafts and continuous cill string; good C13 double piscina; wide chancel arch of early C14, with possibly contemporary low stone walls and small stoup on nave north side. Nave has C19 arch-braced roof, no rere-arches to windows except to that part-hidden behind pulpit, obscured by tower; continuous cill string. Fittings include C17 altar table, a C17 octagonal panelled timber pulpit with matching backboard and tester; C15 octagonal font with panelled bowl and underbowl, plain shaft; C18 commandment boards, canvas on wood; a few medieval encaustic floor tiles in step to sanctuary; also a number of bench ends, made 1511-12, three of which have hinged stools with stays, possibly for servants. Tower has a C16 timber panel roof with moulded beams. Memorials include several brasses set into chancel floor, one to John Heth, priest, died 1464, and others C17; a Ham and Keinton stone memorial in north wall of sanctuary, Corinthian columns and full entablature with cartouche of arms to Thomas Napper, died 1692; on south chancel wall a black and white marble monument to John Napper died 1778; also unusual Ham stone plaque with pediment in blocked north nave doorway to John Priddle, died 1773. The Nappers lived at the Parsonage, now Tintinhull Court (q.v) from 1546, and also at Tintinhull House (q.v) until the end of C18. Stained glass by F.C. Eden in east window. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Oswald, A, Country Life, 12 April, 1956, article p 736 et seq).



Listing NGR: ST4985019704

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
426090
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Country Life' in 12 April, (1956), 736

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01318/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ed Lorch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].