GREEK ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1235501

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1995

Statutory Address: GREEK ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL, ARTHUR PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREEK ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 23:00:46.

Location

Statutory Address: GREEK ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL, ARTHUR PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 05922 87205

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 0587 SE BIRMINGHAM ARTHUR PLACE 27/10141 Greek Orthodox Cathedral

II

Catholic Apostolic church, now Greek Orthodox Cathedral. 1873, by Julius Alfred Chatwin; additions of1898 and 1900. English bond brown bricks with blue brick bands and diapering and terracotta dressings. Steeply-pitched plain tile roof with moulded terracotta coping to gable-ends with corbelled kneelers and apex crosses. PLAN: 8-bay nave with low aisles; apsidal chancel; apsidal baptistry at west end; south chapel; circular chapter house, cloister and porch on north west corner; vestry on north side. The vestry, chapter house and cloister were added circa 1900. High Victorian Gothic style with Geometric tracery. EXTERIOR: The lofty 8-bay nave has tall clerestory windows with terracotta Geometric tracery 2-light windows, between which there are large brick buttresses with set-offs, rising from low aisles. The chancel has a polygonal apse and big lancets. The west end has polygonal baptistry with large buttresses at the angles and tall2-light windows between with Geometric tracery and hipped roof with wrought-iron apex cross and above in gable of nave a pointed arch window with Geometric tracery; to left, circular chapter house with moulded brick pointed windows and conical roof with wrought-iron cross at apex; gabled porch on left with moulded pointed arch. On south side apsidal deaconesses room with semi-conical roof with wrought-iron cross. INTERIOR: The brick walls have been painted white. Lofty interior with timber roof with arched braces on small hammerbeams with braces on clustered shafts between tall clerestory windows. Low 8-bay arcades with pointed moulded brick arches on squat cylindrical piers with scalloped capitals. Tall chancel arch and baptistry arch at west end with moulded arches on clustered shafts set on corbels. The chancel walls are similarly treated with shafts between the windows supporting the braces of the chancel roofs hammerbeams. Stone reredos with spires and pinnacles. Later screen. Arcaded stone pulpit and font. Organ chamber with ornate timber gallery. Victorian pews. Stained glass to chancel apse windows. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.139.



Listing NGR: SP0592687205

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 426244

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981)

End of official listing