TINTINHULL COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1235516
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
Tintinhull Court, St Margarets Road, Tintinhull, Yeovil, BA22 8PL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TINTINHULL COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 13:59:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
Tintinhull Court, St Margarets Road, Tintinhull, Yeovil, BA22 8PL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Tintinhull
National Grid Reference:
ST 49873 19669

Details

ST4919 6/391

TINTINHULL CP ST. MARGARET'S ROAD (West side) Tintinhull Court 19.4.61

GV I Large detached house, formerly parsonage. Medieval basis and plan, re-modelled 1678, 1777 and 1927. Ham stone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between coped gables; ashlar chimney stacks, 'Z' plan.

Two storeys with attics, east elevation eight bays. Plinth to bays one, two and three only: bays one and two are a projecting gable with two-light ovolo-mould mullioned and transomed windows with square labels, and central oval light in gable: bay three may be a late medieval fragment which also projects, with angled corner buttress and battlemented parapet; hollow-chamfer mullioned windows of three lights, the lower large and with relieving arch over; bay four has an apparent garderobe in corner; bays five to eight have two-light hollow-chamfer mullioned and transomed windows under square labels, and between bays, as well as to bay four small hipped-roof dormers with two-light casement windows: all windows rectangular leaded: to lower bay five the entrance door, seemingly earlier C17, with strapwork covermoulds to boarding, set in a moulded semi-circular doorway with lozenge decorated impost blocks and keystone; to right a pair of small cusped lancet windows.

North elevation overlooking churchyard has three bays, of which bay one is an end gable, with two-light chamfer-mullioned windows with labels to first floor and attic, and matching single-light with label left of bay two; bays two and three have C18 mullioned windows with four-centre arched lights, two-light above without label, four-light below under shared label: at west end a single-storey extension to match, with another four-light window and south elevation of similar character. Only part of ground floor inspected; work mostly C17 and C18 in character but the staircase is early C20: south wing has panelled rooms, the centre room being of later C17 and transitional between Jacobean and Queen Anne, with a deep moulded ceiling which could be later; door into hall set into semi-circular arch resembling the front door; in room to north of entrance passage a recently exposed doorway, probably medieval.

Rear wing dated 1777; the 1927 works presumably include the staircase and a bay window on the west elevation. One of the homes of the Napper family for some 250 years; originally a medieval parsonage house, the Nappers took out the first least in 1546, soon after the dissolution of Montacute Priory: several members of the family buried in the church and Churchyard of St. Margaret adjoining (q.v).

Listing NGR: ST4987419668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
426254
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 1 April, (1956), 736

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].