Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235573.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:42:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Chelmsford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 77022 96004



RETTENDON MAIN ROAD CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 10.4.1967 I Church, built between C13-C15.

EXTERIOR: Fine ragstone west tower, with a castellated parapet, diagonal buttresses and an octagonal stair turret on the south-east. It stands on high ground and the tower forms a conspicuous landmark for a wide area. The earliest feature is the south doorway of circa l200, later in the century the chancel was rebuilt. The north aisle and arcade, north chapel, north vestry or Priest's house and the west tower are of the C15. The roof is tiled, renewed in the C20.

INTERIOR: The north vestry is two storeys and has a late C15 doorway to the chancel. The fittings include a C13 piscina and sedilia in the chancel, some poppy head bench ends decorated with a dog, lion, bear and monkey and a very fine C18 marble wall monument filling the entire east wall of the north chapel. It is to Edmund Humfrey dated 1727 and comprises triple arches with figures, the arches have fluted Corinthian columns and a central open semi-circular pediment with enrichments. It is by Samuel Chandler and is one of the finest church monuments of its date. There are brasses; one of a civilian, two wives and children (circa 1535), another to Richard Cannon of 1605 and one to Richard Humfrie of 1607.

HISTORY: Rettendon is a dispersed rural settlement to the southeast of Chelmsford and is mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086. Similar to many rural villages it has an unremarkable history, and the church and the Grade II listed Rettendon Old Hall, some 500m to the north, are the most significant historic buildings in the immediate area. The nave and chancel are C13 in date, the west tower, north aisle, arcade and vestry being added in the C15. The church was restored in 1898, when the roof was replaced; most of the church furniture dates to this campaign. However, the finials in the choir stalls and the backs of some of the choir benches appear to be C15 carving and it is conjectured that they may have formed part of an earlier rood screen. The tower was refurbished in the early C20 and again in the later C20. More recently, a kitchen area has been created at the west end of the north aisle, and disabled toilet facilities in the base of the tower.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: All Saints church of is a fine example of a modest English rural parish church with a high survival of medieval fabric, including the tower and priests chamber. The church possesses many important interior medieval features, including the sedilia, piscina and medieval carvings. Considerable additional interest is found in the marble Humfrey Monument of 1727, which is an outstanding example of early C18 sculpture by Samuel Chandler.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00340/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Richard Phillips. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].