CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1235759
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235759.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:22:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipton Moyne
National Grid Reference:
ST 89221 89617

Details

SHIPTON MOYNE THE STREET ST 8889-8989 (off east side) 16/170 Church of St. John the Baptist 6.9.54 GV II*

Anglican church. Mostly rebuilt, except for south aisle, in 1864-5 by T.H. Wyatt. Ashlar or coursed and dressed stone on chamfered plinth, concrete tile roof with moulded coped verges and cross finials. South west tower, nave with aisles and north porch, transepts, and chancel with small north vestry. Tower of 3 stages on moulded plinth and with moulded string courses, diagonal buttresses to west, octagonal stair vice to south east with turret, parapet pierced by open quatrefoils. Dated 1864 on base of south west buttress. Lower stage has large moulded pointed archway to west with column jambs and course of coloured stone set above hoodmould, with similar stone below string courses and set alternately above hoodmould raised over hexafoil on south side of lowest stage. Middle stage has 2 single trefoil-head lancets to each face and diagonally set square clock face to west. Tall top stage has large pointed arch recesses each with 2-light trefoil head louvred belfry openings. Embattled aisles and north porch with mostly 2-light cinquefoiled ogees with square hoodmould. Three-light east window with plate tracery and 2-light plain trefoil lancets to chancel. Interior: nave roof of 8 small bays with 3 alternate main trusses having arched bracing, all trusses with king post and collar beam. Three-bay arcade to north, 2 to south, in Early English style. Larger similar arches to transepts, and larger still to chancel with striped stone voussoirs and small column jambs with elaborate capitals and supported on conical corbels. Chancel has panelled ceiling and cusped rerearches to all windows, rich encaustic tile floor and stone and marble reredos with small trefoil arches in 3 groups of 3. Three cusped tomb recesses with C14 recumbent effigies in chancel. Generally a fine collection of wall monuments. Estcourt chapel in south transept has 2 large early C17 tomb chests with canopies and carved figures and heraldry, one in Renaissance style. Italianate wooden pulpit with carved quatrefoil panels by Wyatt. Square stone font on central large and smaller corner columns with decorative lettering around top and large marble studs to each side. Base of tower forms porch with stone lierne vault and large arched recesses with sculptured ornament and wall seats. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979) - --------------- ---

Listing NGR: ST8922189617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
426547
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13870/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Stafford . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].