CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1236562
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1236562.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:42:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)
Parish:
Wrotham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 61183 59189

Details

TQ6059-6159 WROTHAM C.P. THE SQUARE 7/36 (east side) 25.8.59 Church of St George GV I

Church. Early C14 with C15 west tower; chancel restored 1860-61 by Newman and Billing, tower restored by R Wheeler, 1876. Random rubble, plain tiled roofs. Angle buttresses to tower, which has crenellated parapet and north-east turret. Passage through it north-south on ground-floor with 3-bay rib-vault, originally to allow processions to circle the church without descending into the road to the west of the church ('The Square'). Nave with gabled aisles and chancel with east window inserted 1958, reputedly from St Alban, Wood Street, City of London, Gothic survival of 1633-34. All other windows renewed. Low south porch with arched entrance and vaulted interior. Parvis chamber above. Interior. North aisle of 4 bays, south aisle of 3 bays, these respaced; both with circular arcade piers and double chamfered arches. Similar chancel arch. 2 bay chancel. Font. C13, stone, octagonal, 2 shallow sunk arches on each face. Pulpit. 1861. Stone, with marble shafts, supported on group of angels. Rood screen. C15. Wood with triple square-headed lights. Piscina. Cinquefoiled ogee-arch and hood-mould on ball flowers. Identical piscina in south aisle. Reredos in South Aisle, Ninian Campen, 1907. Benefactions boards under tower, C18 with fern-leaf surround. Wall-painting in chancel. Monuments. Brasses. Thomas Nysell, d.1498; John Burgoyn, c.1500; Thomas Pekham, d.1512; Reynold Pekham, d.1525; Hames Pekham, d.1532; William Clarke, d.1611; Elizabeth Crispe, d.1615. Wall Monuments. Robert Rychens, d.1588. Black marble slab showing kneeling family, set in alabaster framework. Nicholas Miller, erected 1661. Black tablet with bust in open pediment over. Lucretia Betenson d.c.1760. Bust in relief on draped roundel in concave surround. Perhaps by Nicholas Read, (R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851).

Listing NGR: TQ6118359189

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
427588
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00163/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Vigar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].