CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1236656
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1236656.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:37:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lyddington
National Grid Reference:
SP 87612 96992

Details

LYDDINGTON CHURCH LANE SP 8696-8796 SP 8697-8797 9/58 8/58 10.11.55 Church of St Andrew. GV I

Parish church. Early-mid C14 W tower and chancel; nave and aisles rebuilt late C15; vestry added 1849; chancel restored and stripped of plaster 1889-90 by Ewan Christian; nave restored at same date by J C Traylen; tower restored 1902. Ironstone with pale limestone dressings, the tower ashlar, remainder semi-dressed and coursed rubble. Lead roofs. W tower is of 4 stages with moulded plinth and strings, restored embattled parapet and set back buttresses. Short broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Paired 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber, restored; single trefoil-headed lancets with hoodmoulds to stage below. W side has 2-light window with ogee tracery and hoodmould, and fine moulded doorway with 2 shafts to each jamb and flanking and central finials. Nave has moulded parapet and 5-bay clerestory of 3-light Perpendicular windows with cusped lights and 4-centred heads. Aisle windows are similar but taller and transomed. W bays of aisles have doorways with 2-centred arches, blocked 1804. Aisles also have moulded plinths and parapets and off-set and gabled buttresses. Rood stair projects in angle between N aisle and chancel. Chancel has moulded plinth, sill course and eaves, and 2 bays of 2-light Decorated windows with hoodmoulds and carved head stops. S windows have flowing tracery. Large 4-light E window of same type but with reticulated tracery. S side also has transomed low-side window and small door with 2-centred arch. All chancel windows restored. Gabled vestry projects to north. Interior: Tower has brick vault with 2 medieval carved head corbels, door with chamfered arch to stair, and blocked window with chamfered arch to nave. Tower arch is 2-centred with 4 moulded and chamfered orders to nave. Traces of original roof-line of nave above. 5-bay nave arcades with moulded arches on piers with moulded caps and bases. Each pier has 4 shafts. Labels with carved head stops. E end of nave retains fragments of C15 wall paintings with figure of king on NE pier. C19 roof. Aisles have restored roofs on carved head stone corbels. N aisle has rectangular niche adjacent to rood stair, and arched niche of former stoup by blocked N door. Piscina with hacked arch and remains of C14 tracery in S aisle. Chancel arch is moulded on half shafts with moulded caps. Interior of chancel is heavily restored with slender shafts and carved head label stops to windows, raised floor and C19 roof. Aumbry in N wall; row of ogee arches over piscina and triple sedilia in S wall. High up in each side wall are 5 holes for acoustic jars. Fittings: rectangular ironstone font with panelled sides, C20 stand and early C17 carved wooden cover; C15 wooden screen with painted flowers and traces of painted saints on lower panels, open traceried upper panels and restored coving; Communion rails dated 1635, remarkable in that they surround the altar on all four sides; altar table of 1662; fragments of medieval glass in N window heads; E window of 1870; C19 seating and pulpit. Monuments: 2 stone coffin lids in tower; brasses in chancel to Sir Edward Watson and wife 1520, and to Helyn Hardy 1486. (Buildings of England, 1984, p 482-3.B Matthews, guide to St Andrew, Lyddington).

Listing NGR: SP8761296992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
427719
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Matthews, B , Guide to St Andrew Lyddington
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 482-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/03121/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth M Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].