ZIMBABWE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237039
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1970
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
ZIMBABWE HOUSE, 429, STRAND WC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of ZIMBABWE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237039.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:49:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
ZIMBABWE HOUSE, 429, STRAND WC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 30280 80640

Details

CITY OF WESTMINSTER STRAND WC2 TQ 3080 NW 72/118 No 429 (Zimbabwe House, formerly listed as 5.2.70 Rhodesia House) GV II* High Commission offices. 1906-08 by Charles Holden as partner in Adams and Holden, for the British Medical Association and originally with letting shops on the ground floor. Grey Cornish granite and Portland stone cladding steel frame, slate roof. Exceptional neo-Mannerist design with classical motifs and forms deployed with the freedom allowed by the stone cladding of the structural frame. Corner block. 5 storeys and dormered mansard, the top 2 storeys in Portland stone slightly recessed. 2 windows to Strand, canted corner and 7-window return to Agar Street. Main entrance in centre of Agar Street front with isolated architrave and inset Doric columns; the doorway and the ground and 1st floor windows are contained in sharply cut semi- circular arched recesses between broad pilaster-piers - transomed ground floor display windows and on 1st floor a tripartite variant on Venetian or thermal window with small plane glazing and slender Doric columns; the pilaster piers rise through breaks in block cornice to flank complex, planar, tripartite 2nd floor composition of niches and windows, the niches containing the contentious and subsequently mutilated standing figures sculpted by Jacob Epstein. The pilaster theme is continued in the Portland stone of 3rd floor but in shallower relief and more fragmentary form whilst with the recession of the 4th floor they become buttress-piers, 2 of them developed as chimney stacks. The entrance bay is slightly emphasised by the doubling up of the pilaster theme. Horizontal stratification emphasised by block cornices and sill cornices. Edwardian Architecture and its Origins; Alistair Service, editor. London 1900: Alistair Service Architectural Design; Vol; 48, Nos. 5-6; Gavin Stamp

Listing NGR: TQ3028080640

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428225
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Service, A, London 1900, (1979)
Service, A, Edwardian Architecture and its Origins, (1975)
'Architectural Design' in Number 5, , Vol. 48, ()
'Architectural Design' in Number 6, , Vol. 48, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15241/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].