CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1237085
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237085.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:33:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaton
National Grid Reference:
SP 90421 98250

Details

SEATON CHURCH LANE SP 9089-9189 10/127 10.11.55 Church of All Hallows. GV II

Parish church. Early C12 in origin, with S door and shafts of chancel arch surviving from that date. N aisle and nave arcade are late C12; S aisle and arcade are similar but slightly later. C13 chancel. Late C13 W tower and spire. C14 S porch. Clerestory added, aisles refenestrated and remainder thoroughly restored 1874-5 by N.M. Fawcett of Cambridge. Coursed limestone rubble, the chancel part banded with ironstone; slate roofs. W tower is of 3 stages and has angle buttresses and broach spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes. Bell-chamber has tall 2-light traceried openings with shafts, all much restored. Below are cusped round windows to N and S, and tall narrow W window with traceried lights. Nave has moulded parapet and C19 3-bay clerestory with cusped roundels. Aisles also have moulded parapets, and 3 bays of Cl9 rectangular windows, each window of 3 cusped lights. Similar window to organ chamber at E end and of N aisle. N aisle retains original W window with 2 traceried lights, and arched door. South aisle retains cusped lancet in W end, and original 3-light E window with cusped intersecting tracery. S doorway has fine roll mouldings and billet moulding to arch, and jambs with pairs of slender shafts, richly carved capitals and friezes, and moulded bases. S porch has good moulded 2-centred arch with flanking traceried pilaster buttresses and carved stops to inner label. Ogee-traceried windows in sides of porch. Chancel has moulded parapet, keeled sill string, remains of dripmould, and gabled buttresses. 3 bays of good arched windows, each with pair of arched lights, blind cusped roundel and banded ironstone jambs. Large C19 3-light E window with original outer shafts and jambs. S door with double hollow-chamfered surround and carved head stops to hoodmould. Interior: tower arch is triple hollow-chamfered with half-quatrefoil shafts to jambs. Fine 3-bay nave arcades with richly moulded semi-circular arches on cylindrical piers. S piers and one N pier have moulded capitals with a narrow band of nailhead; other N piers have waterleaf capitals. 2 arches on N side are of banded ironstone and limestone. Arched niche with rebate for door in SE pier. S aisle has W window seat incorporating panels and balusters of former font, each panel with raised stone cross. 2 tomb recesses and 2 piscinae, one cusped, in S wall of aisle. Chancel arch has roll mouldings and good early C12 shafts with carved capitals and frieze. Above is a semi-circular arched window. Chancel has fine C13 window shafts, C19 arch to vestry and aumbry in N wall, cusped aumbries flanking altar, and fine group of piscina and triple sedilia with trefoil arches in S wall. C19 roofs throughout. Most fittings are late C19, except for an octagonal stone basin, formerly a font, a chest with iron straps in the porch, and early-mid C18 altar rails with dropped wooden balusters. Stained glass in E window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. The only notable monuments are a medieval effigy in S aisle, and a memorial tablet of 1852 to the Monckton family.

Listing NGR: SP9042198250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428249
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15860/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].