THE OLD MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237181
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
THE OLD MANOR HOUSE, MAIN STREET, THORPE BY WATER, OAKHAM, LE15 9JQ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237181.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:29:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD MANOR HOUSE, MAIN STREET, THORPE BY WATER, OAKHAM, LE15 9JQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Thorpe By Water
National Grid Reference:
SP 89326 96491

Details

SP 89 NE 4/152

THORPE BY WATER, MAIN STREET, The Old Manor House

(Formerly listed as Tudor House)

10.11.55

GV II*

House. Dated 1597 on small stone tablet not necessarily original to house. Of at least 2 c.1600-early C17 builds. Coursed limestone rubble, Collyweston slate roof, coped gables, ashlar chimneys with pairs of square shafts to left and between right bays. L-plan, with altered range of former outbuildings forming U-plan. 2 storeys and attic, 3 bay front. Windows have ovolo-moulded limestone mullions and varying cornices. All front windows are of 4 lights, those to left bay each with one light blocked and quadrant cornice above. Windows in right bays have casement cornices, and lower windows have lowered sills. To right of left bay is a C20 half-glazed door recessed behind a C17 limestone door surround with stops to mouldings, 4-centred arch and casement cornice. Right gable end has 3-light window with cyma recta cornice to ground floor, C20 3-light concrete window in matching style to first floor, and 2-light attic window. Similar windows to rear wing, mostly with casement cornices, the attic window in gabled dormer. To rear of left bay is a range of former outbuildings and bakery, now of only one storey with flat C20 roof, but formerly higher. W side of this wing incorporates older fragments, with C20 window set between moulded stone jambs and with moulded wooden fireplace lintel above. There is also a moulded stone door lintel. Interior: left bay has large open fireplace with arched window and wooden lintel shaped into depressed arch; moulded stone fireplace with 4-centred arch moved from room above to ground floor of right bay. Other first floor rooms have similar stone fireplaces, that in centre bay with stone box cornice. Another similar fireplace in attic of rear wing. Rear wing also has original winder stair with knob handles to newel post, and re-set stone tablets with inscriptions commemorating John Osborne, a nonconformist who died 1668. Tablets originally set into wall of orchard. Stop-chamfered spine beams. Left bay has been partitioned so as to provide a cross-passage.

Listing NGR: SP8935696463

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428272
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07669/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Wise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].