CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1237211
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237211.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:13:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whixall
National Grid Reference:
SJ 51797 34861

Details

WHIXALL CP WHITALL SJ 53 SW 6/214 Church of St Mary 28.10.60 - II Parish church. 1867 by G E Street. Red brick (English bond) with sandstone ashlar dressings; slate roofs with ornamental cresting and coped verges. Nave and chancel with full-length north aisle and vestry. Nave: in 4 bays on double- chamfered plinths; plain 2-light windows with plate tracery and shallow leanto porch with pointed arch in west bay. West window of 4 broad lancets with 2 roundels and one quatrefoil above. Lead-covered spirelet with louvred belfry at east end. Lean-to north aisle has 6 broad paired lancets with trefoil heads and similar window of 3 lights to east; eastern part incorporates vestry/organ chamber with shouldered arch to doorway. Chancel: in 2 bays on triple-chamfered plinth has string course and angle buttresses at east end. South side has lancet to west and window with plate tracery to east. East window of 3 lancets with sexfoil above. Interior: brickwork exposed with trussed rafter roofs to nave and chancel, latter boarded. North nave arcade in 4 pointed bays has circular stone piers with moulded plinths and capping. Pointed chancel arch-on corbelled responds. Fittings and furnishings including low stone screen to chancel, altar rails, stone pulpit and early English style, font at west end with clustered columns all by street. Late C18 or early Cl9 benefactors boards on north wall of north aisle and C17 font come from an earlier chapel. Font is hexagonal and dated 1608; ornamented with a scalloped shell, a lion rampant, birds, rosettes and fleur-de-lys; formerly with a Jacobean font cover. Brass plate in chanel records that present church was erected in 1867 "in grateful recognition of the character and services of John Allen, vicar of Prees and Archdeacon of Salop". Whixall was originally a dependent chapelry of Prees and the site of the previous chapel, which dated to C17, lies approximately a quarter of a mile to the south (N.G.R SJ 516 344). B.O.E. p.318; D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 8 (1906) p.740.

Listing NGR: SJ5179734861

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428427
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , The Churches of Shrewsbury, (1894-1908), 740
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 318

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/09334/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].