Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237246 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:20:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Shepton Beauchamp
National Grid Reference:
ST 40298 17159



6/45 Church of St. Michael



Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1865 by G.E. Street. Coursed and squared lias and Hamstone, coped verges to lead-sheeting and tile roofs, finials. Predominantly Decorated and Perpendicular, work by Street including clerestory, aisle and porch in neo-Decorated style. Consists of nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, chancel with a north chapel, west tower. Tall 3-stage tower with set-back buttresses ascending to the shafts of former pinnacles, embattled parapet, gargoyles, 2-light traceried bell-chamber windows with stone grilles, continuing as blank openings on the ringing chamber below, clock with Roman numerals to west and south, higher polygonal stair-turret to the north; quatrefoil banding with blank shields between the first and second stages; medieval figure of a bishop in a canopied niche to west face, C19 figure of St. George in a niche to the south; west face with tall transomed 4-light window, west doorway in an emphasised surround, ornamental spandrels, flanking shafts with pinnacles, arcade of quatrefoils with blank shields. Four bay nave clerestory with quatrefoil windows. Three bay south aisle, rebuilt except single 2-light window to west, probably reused, label with carved heads as stops, parapet with a moulded coping, gargoyles, buttresses. Rood-stair turret in the angle between the aisle and the chancel. Rebuilt south porch, though a statue in the gable face is medieval. C15 north aisle, 3 bays, 3-light square-headed windows to north, 2-light traceried pointed-arch window to the west, parapet with a coping, gargoyle; small porch, stone roof supported on stone vaulting. Moulded inner and outer doorways. North vestry probably 1865; this partially obscures the embattled north chapel, large 3-light traceried Perpendicular windows, carved heads as label stops, gargoyles, tall polygonal stack, Two bay chancel, 2-light Decorated windows to the north and south, diagonal buttresses to east, 3-light window. Scraped interior on tile and encaustic tile pavements. C19 arch-braced crown-post roof to nave; south aisle under a C19 lean-to roof; north aisle under C17 lean-to roof, though much renewed; chapel under unceiled wagon roof, C19, though may incorporate earlier work; chancel under C19 unceiled wagon roof with ribs and bosses, ornamental wallplate, painted decoration, Three bay south aisle, C14 octagonal piers with moulded caps, except C13 half-circular pier to south-east end. Two bay north aisle, conforming octagonal pier, and a further bay to the east formed by the double-chamfered arch of a former north tower; further similar arch between aisle and chapel. Chancel arch by Street. Panelled Perpendicular arch between chancel and chapel. Panelled Perpendicular tower arch, fine fan-vault with big bosses and a large circular opening for the bell-ropes. C14 moulded inner doorway to south porch. Good C14 stepped group of a piscina, sedilia, and doorway, continuous mouldings, the walls between the sedilia seats are pierced by ogee-sided triangles and cinquefoiled circles. Norman tub font with C19 medieval style cover with ironwork. Perpendicular piscina and a corbel head to chapel. Jacobean choir. Further 2 pairs of carved high-back chairs which appear to be C17. Many fittings of the restoration including pews, stone pulpit, stone and wrought-iron chancel screen, choir stalls and reredos. Ten mid/late C19 stained-glass windows, though that to south-east corner of south aisle appears to incorporate late medieval work. Early C20 window to the north chapel. Small C18 painting of Christ. Several mid/late C19 wall monuments. Metal charity plaque under tower. Small organ under tower supported on early C20 Jacobean-type organ loft. Eight bells, 5 dated in the C18, 2 dated 1905. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH, Vol IV, 1978).

Listing NGR: ST4029617160


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10349/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].