HIGH AND OVER WITH ATTACHED WALLS, STEPS AND PERGOLA, HIGHOVER PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237711
Date first listed:
28-Jan-1971
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
HIGH AND OVER, 40, HIGHOVER PARK, AMERSHAM, HP7 0BP

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH AND OVER WITH ATTACHED WALLS, STEPS AND PERGOLA, HIGHOVER PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:37:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGH AND OVER, 40, HIGHOVER PARK, AMERSHAM, HP7 0BP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Chiltern (District Authority)
Parish:
Amersham
National Grid Reference:
SU 96629 97394

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/11/2017

SU 9697 8/126

AMERSHAM HIGHOVER PARK No 40, High and Over, with attached walls, steps and pergola

(Formerly listed as High and Over, with attached walls, steps and pergola HIGHOVER DRIVE)

28.1.71 GV II* Country house, now divided into two dwellings. 1930 by Amyas D Connell for Bernard Ashmole, Professor of Classical Archaeology at London University.

Concrete frame, infilled with cavity wall construction externally of brick and with concrete block internally. Y-shaped plan designed to catch the sun and views across the Misbourne valley, with hexagonal centrepiece incorporating main and garden entrances and projecting staircase. Two storeys with partial basement, a third nursery floor over servants' wing gives on to flat roof with concrete canopies over. Single stack. Basement garage and store under west wing. Exteriors. All windows of metal, many in steel plated soffits. Near symmetrical entrance front, with central chrome-plated steel double doors flanked by continuous strip windows which curve round the central projections of the house. North wing of house originally housed kitchen and servants' quarters, and there is a projecting trades entrance to left. To right, wall hides drive to garage. To side, steps lead to garden. Garden elevation with central metal-framed, glazed double doors, and regular fenestration to ground floor. The first floor similar, but with two blind bays. The upper floor denoted by two concrete canopies over rooftop garden, incorporating hooks for hammocks and swing, and sandpit. Central projecting balcony with open steel sides. Terrace continues across garden front, with steps down to lower garden. To right, the terrace ends in concrete pergola which frames the end of the east wing. East wing with projecting first floor oriel. Road elevation with central projecting staircase, continuously glazed to ground and first floors. Long, continuous strip windows to second floor. Interior. Now divided into two units.

Central hexagonal hallway divided from front door, but retains original polished limestone floor inset with glass and traces of central fountain. Central circular opening to first floor with solid balustrade, the first floor reached via spiral staircase with similar balustrade. Staircase continues to second floor, but now blocked. On ground floor, former library retains bookcases, and first floor retains light fitting over oriel window, metal surrounds, and fitted cupboards.

The front door now in the other unit. This has the former living room, with asymmetrical, stepped fireplace with flat light fitting flush to ceiling over. In dining room there survives original floors, metal surrounds and light fitting to wall and ceiling which was installed to entirely light glass shelving or sideboard. Spiral service staircase.

Of outstanding importance as the first truly convincing essay in the international style in England, one of only two buildings included in the exhibition `The International Style' held at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, under the curatorship of Henry-Russell Hitchcock and Philip Johnson in 1932. It is the first work by Connell, who with Basil Ward and Colin Lucas formed the most important architectural practice designing modern movement houses in the inter-war period.

Sources Country Life, vol. LXX, 1931, p.302 Architect and Building News, 29 November 1929, 3 January 1930, 26 June 1931, and 3 July 1931. Architectural Association Journal, May 1956 Dennis Sharp, Connell Ward and Lucas, 1995

Listing NGR: SU9662997394

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
414978
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12728/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Butler. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].