This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1237718



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ware

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Sep-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 412350

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL3514SE HIGH STREET 829-1/9/113 (South side) 08/05/50 Nos.61, 61A, 61B AND 63 including doorway to No.59 (not included) (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET Nos.61A AND 61B) (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET No.61 including doorway to No.59) (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET No.63)


Formerly known as: Nos.61 AND 63 HIGH STREET. Complex of buildings including 2 former inn sites, with interlocked subdivisions. The ground floor of No.61 contains a carriageway at left, with mid C20 infilling to form the entrance to the adjoining National Westminster Bank, No.59, not of special interest and not included. The remainder of the ground floor is now opened out as part of the pharmacy, No.61. The first floor and attics above Nos 59 and 61, and the rear outshoot of No.61 (listed as Nos 61A and 61B) are now accessible from within No.63. Part early C15, with C17, C18 and C19 alterations. Timber-framed and plastered with old tiled roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics at rear. No.59 has roof ridge parallel to street, Nos 61 and 63 have triple gables facing street, with linking roof behind the twin gables of No.63. Tall square red brick chimneystack, with oversailing course and 4 pots behind No.61. No.59 has a jettied first floor with three 2-light wood casement windows, an eaves cornice and sprocketed eaves. Colourwashed plaster ground floor with C20 infilled carriageway at left, and at right a C19 canted bay window with sashes with glazing bars, beneath. Nos 61 and 63 have a continuous jettied first floor faced with masonry-lined stucco, carried on curved wooden brackets, and 2 triple-light flush sash windows with glazing bars, and at right, one long canted multi-pane triple sash window form an oriel. No.61, at left of carriageway has C19 shopfront, altered early C20, beneath jetty. Flanking timber pilasters with carved consoles, recessed entrance with twin leaf glazed doors between display windows, with arcaded heads modified to incorporate plate glass, above terrazzo stallriser. At right, beyond carriageway, ground floor has canted bay window, with sashes, with glazing bars only in upper sashes, flanked either side by blocked C17 6-light mullion and transom windows with ovolo profiled members. Central carriageway with exposed timber-framing above protective boarding. At left there are twin ogee-headed blocked doorways; at right close studwork, and a blocked rectangular headed door. 3 light mullion and transom window over carriageway, with hipped old tiled roof, with C20 casement attic dormer. C17 rear outshoot to No.61, at right of carriageway, 2 storeys with old tiled roofs, plastered timber-framed first floor, colourwashed brick ground floor and C20 casement windows, with canted bay window at right on ground floor. Southern range 2 storey and weatherboarded. Long C17 rear outshoot behind No.63, at left, 2 storeys, with old tiled roofs with 2 box dormers, close to the rear of the main frontage ranges, and a tall slab-like red brick chimneystack, with oversailing courses. Plaster over timber-framing, with irregularly spaced casement, mullion and transom windows, with 2 flush-set sash windows on ground floor to left of recessed entrance door to No.63, which is immediately beyond the carriageway. Further south is C19 yellow brick outshoot with Welsh slated roof, linked to former maltings (not included). INTERIORS retain many early features. No.61 has C15 2 bay crown post roof over front range. First floor has upper part of newel stair, at rear of front range, and C18 fire surrounds with shouldered architraves. The left hand first floor room contains a C18 bolection moulded fire surround and panelled overmantel. The insertion of the shopfront and consequent rebuilding of the ground floor involved the moving of the left hand timber-framing of the carriageway which does not line through with the first floor structure. The centre room, partly over the carriageway arch (accessible as part of the first floor of No.63) contains a late C14/early C15 timber-framed structure, with curved braces, and remains of a central arch brace truss, with a heavily cambered tie-beam, probably formerly carrying a crown post, which appears to have been removed from the loft space above the ceiling. The ground floor front room of No.63 contains an early C20 polished limestone Tudor-arched fireplace with Delft tile inserts. The staircase, to the rear with access from the yard, is of open well newel construction, 6 flights length, with recessed panels and moulded caps, moulded handrails, and barleysugar twist balusters. The room behind the panelled staircase hall, within the outshoot, is panelled to the head of door level, and has an early C18 fire surround with a bold bolection moulding, and appears to have been a dining room. The room behind, a former kitchen, has a 4-light early C17 window, with ovolo profile mullions, exposed internally. On the first floor the principal front room has exposed studwork revealed after panelling was sold for shipment to the United States in 1920s. There is a barrel vaulted plaster ceiling, with ornamental spandrels at either end. The front spandrel contains Jacobean strapwork, and the date `1624' in roundels, with ornamental birds, hares and fleur-de-lys in silhouette. The rear spandrel, above the fireplace contains strapwork, with 2 birds in silhouette, and a central roundel with the initials `I H S' (Jesus Hominum Salvator) surmounted by a fleur-de-lys (Hertfordshire Archaeology vol 8, p.157). The roof structure above was altered to accommodate the plaster vault, but appears originally to have been of the crown post type. The room is known as The Chapel, and was possibly entered by a stair in the right-hand front corner, leading from a central ground floor door, removed when the canted bay window was installed. HISTORICAL NOTE: No.63 was recorded as The Royal Oak Inn in 1664: No.59 as The Cross Keys and Ram Inn in 1599: No.61 as The Coach and Horses Inn in 1723. No.61 existed as a tavern until 1843, when it became a pharmacy, and the present shopfront was inserted. Thomas Docwra owned No.63 in the C18, and operated a malting at the rear. Nos 61A & 61B were first listed on 14/03/74. (Hunt EM: The History of Ware: Hertford: 1986-1946: 101; Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire: London: 1910-: 229-30; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses. Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 198; Perman D: Ware UD. List of buildings of special arch or historic interest: 1993-: 31-2; Ware 25" to 1 Mile. Surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department: 1851-; The Victoria History of the County of Hertford: London: 1912-: 381; Forrester H: Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 35-7; East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions: Andrews HC: Notes on 63 High Street, Ware: Hitchin: 1908-: 269-71; Hertfordshire Archaeology: Puloy M: Decorative Plasterwork in Hertfordshire: St Albans & Hertford: 1980-1982: 157 & PL XIX, XX; Moodey GE: East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter: Hertford: 1965-).

Listing NGR: TL3575814314

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 381
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964)
Hunt, E M, The History of Ware 1986-1946, (1986), 101
Smith, J T, Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory, (1993), 198
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, , Vol. 8, (1980), 157
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeology Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeology Society, (1908-9), 269-71
'East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter' in East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter, (1965)
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, , Vol. 8, (1981), 157
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, , Vol. 8, (1982), 157
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 35758 14314


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237718 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 05:58:54.

End of official listing