This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1237732



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Doveridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 414999

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SK 13 SW PARISH OF DOVERIDGE DERBY ROAD 2/10 (South Side) Brocksford Hall and attached stable block. GV II

Small country house, now school. 1893 for Mr C W Jervis Smith by Douglas and Fordham of Chester, in a Jacobean style. Brick, faced with Ruabon wire-cut bricks. Blue brick diaper work and mottled red and white Hollington stone dressings. Plain tile roof with dark brindled tiles. Stone coped gables with moulded kneelers and ball finials. Six tall brick stacks. Brick tower to south east with pyramid roof, containing the water tank. Elevations symmetrical in massing but not in detail. Seven bay north elevation with five gables. Mullioned and transomed windows with ovolo moulded mullions. Off-centre two storey porch has Tudor-arched doorway, plank double doors and single light windows with transom on each side. Canted oriel above of 1-3-1 lights, with angle finials and sunk panel with coat of arms above. To the right a 4-light mullioned and transomed window with 4-light mullion window above with decorative cresting. To right again a large paired staircase window of 2 plus 2 lights with two transoms. Similar details to left of porch with one, two, three and four light windows and a smaller secondary staircase window. Low, flat-roofed, single storey bay is a slightly later addition. Six bay south elevation with symmetrical arrangement of three gables. Advanced centre bay has a 4-light mullioned and transomed window with 3-light window above. To the left are two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with two 3-light windows above. Advanced gabled bay to left again has a broad two storey canted bay window of 2-3-2 lights to each floor, the lower ones with transom. Small 2-light window in the gable. To the right of the centre bay a doorway with later half-timbered porch and 3-light mullioned and transomed window. 4-light window above. Advanced bay to right again almost matches the corresponding bay to left, with canted bay, but with a 4-light window in the gable and a slit window above. Water tower set back to right. In the angle a single storey bay with curious stepped parapet Brick and timber framed stable block attached to north east corner forming an L-range. Carriage entrance with timber framed upper floor with a 3-light window to west. Pedimented bell turret with ogee-capped louvred lantern and weather vane above. The interior of the house has a re-used mid-C18 staircase around an open well. Two turned balusters per tread, curved tread ends and ramped and wreathed handrail. Raised and fielded panelled dado. The drawing room has re-used mid C18 panelling, doorcase with lugged architrave with egg and dart motif and carved overdoor with modillion cornice. Elaborate chimney piece with Rococo overmantel enclosing a circular painting. The upper landing has fluted columns and keyed segmental arches. Re-used C18 chimney piece. The entrance hall has possibly re-used Jacobean panelling and a re-used plaster frieze. The re-used material came from Fenton Hall in Staffordshire. source: Building News Vol. 64, 1893 p.867.

Listing NGR: SK1347733194

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in Building News, , Vol. 64, (1893), 867

National Grid Reference: SK 13477 33194


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 10:43:50.

End of official listing