CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1237744
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237744 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:03:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Brancaster
National Grid Reference:
TF 77245 43900

Details

TF 74 SE BRANCASTER

5/1 Church of St. Mary. 5.6.53.

G.V. I

Parish Church. C12 evidence in chancel, C14 nave and aisles, C15 clerestorey and west tower, re-roofed 1832, east window c.1907. Pebble flint, some early reused limestone blocks in chancel, perhaps Roman; stone dressings, rendered east gables, slate roofs, leaded south aisle and porch. West tower, north and south aisle with south porch, chancel. West tower pebble flint with stone dressings. Cut stone base string course, 2 west angle buttresses with 3 set-off stages, knapped and squared flint dressings, 2 stage rectangular stairs turret on south. Perpendicular west door, 3-light west window, simple rectangular lancet sound holes to 3 faces above, string-course, 4 2-light tracery belfry windows. String course, battlemented parapet with stone flushwork and angle pinnacles. Clock on east face. South porch C14, outer arch with bases and capitals, quatrefoil north and south windows, entrance arch perhaps c.1300 with thick, crudely moulded hood mould and 2 label stop heads. South aisle has 3 curious tracery windows, perhaps medieval, perhaps C17, large lancet without tracery divisions, arched heads set in rectangular frame with slightly hipped head with hood mould and 2 label stop heads, the spandrel filled with crudely moulded single tracery bar. Conventional Perpendicular 2-light clerestorey windows, with brick stitching above, 4 to north and south. North aisle has c,1900 addition west bay, north door with 2-light window above, 3 ogee headed and cusped 2-light windows in square head frame of c.1400. 3-light Perpendicular window in nave east gable. Chancel has reused stone on south side, with evidence of C12 openings now blocked. East window of C19 restoration, neo-Decorated tracery. Interior: 4 bay c.1400 late Decorated or Early Perpendicular north and south arcades, octagonal piers, seat bases now flush with built up floor level, double hollow chamfered arches. Tall Perpendicular tower arch, chancel arch perhaps Decorated, capitals cut back for now removed rood screen, metal hooks for rood beam visible above. Fine C14 or C15 octagonal stone font, moulded bases, unmoulded shaft and bowl. Fine, somewhat stripped of detail, C15 spire font cover, base telescoping into spire as required. 3 lights and 2 half-lights of C14 or C15 rood screen repositioned in tower arch. Royal arms of William IV, 1832, in north aisle. Roofs throughout of c.1832 restoration. East window 1907, including portrait of donor. Stalls c.1907. C17 Holy Table in south aisle.

Listing NGR: TF7724543900

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415019
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03608/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Ian Shapeero. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].