This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1237905



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ware

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Sep-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 412364

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL3514SE HIGH STREET 829-1/9/128 (North side) 08/05/50 No.84 Gilpin House (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET No.84)


Formerly known as: Nos.84, 84A, 86, 88 and Blue Boot Stores HIGH STREET. House, now shop, with attic offices and storage areas. C15 and C17, with C19 and C20 alterations. Timber-framed, stucco faced, with quoins left and right on south elevation. Old tiled roof; twin gables facing south, one gable facing east, truncated base of red brick chimneystack, originally with 4 diagonally-set upper shafts, on centre of ridge of left hand gable. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics, with extensive cellars. South elevation first floor has 3 flush sash windows with glazing bars, attic 2 flush sash windows with exposed boxes set high in gables. East elevation has 2 flush sash windows, with exposed boxes. Attic has 2-light C20 wooden casement window, with glazing bars. Ground floor has mid C20, part timber shopfronts with entrance in left hand window at south elevation. 6 panel door in east elevation with pilaster surround, panelled frieze and flat hood raised on console brackets. Rear elevation faces West Street, 2 storeys, colourwashed pebbledash, setback stuccoed gable with attics at right. First floor central sash window in flush surround with exposed boxes, small paned smaller window at right. Twin light modern casements to attic above. Ground floor has modern lean-to extension with glazed roof. INTERIOR: contains evidence for the 2 distinct periods of construction. The building forms part of an encroachment, middle row, on the West Market Place. Viewed from the south, the right hand (east) range is late C15; the left hand (west) range is mid C17. The right hand range possibly formed a cross-wing to a hall-house to the west, which was subsequently rebuilt, or the 2 bay C15 range may always have been self-contained, albeit unheated. The east range contains a late C15 cellar, flint lined, with heavy joists supporting ground floor above, in the rear (north) bay; floor lowered to street level in C19 in the south bay. Ground floor opened out, but central cross beam shows mortices for central stud partition, and exposed close studding in east wall of south bay. Attics indicate that C15 crown post roof structure removed C17 when floor inserted and east gable constructed to form garret. Collar purlin exposed in ceiling, with mortices for bracing. Original rear gable, now enclosed as partition at north end of attic has ogee bracing crossing close studding, originally external, and cut through by inserted attic door. Brick chimney, and adjacent newel staircase added C17 on north during rebuilding. C17 range has cellars with twin central fireplaces facing north and south, both the chamfered timber lintels. Ground floor south room opened out C19. North room has elaborate mid C17 plaster ceiling, with a central heavily moulded plaster-covered beam with a `mock' guilloche design studded with rosettes, and the recessed panels subdivided by moulded ribs into alternating squares and circles, containing a cartouched shield containing 2 English lions and 3 crosses, the coat of arms of the Garth family. The first floor north room has similar, but more elaborate plasterwork, with the central beam running north-south, and 2 large square recessed panels, each containing a diagonally set square, with fleur-de-lys at each corner, with a circle within, and shields similar to those on ground floor below, but surmounted by raised Laurel wreaths. The chimney breast has a wreathed shield flanked by crowned rosettes (Hertfordshire Archaeology 8, 1980-82, p181). Attics contain central chimneystack, and C17 roof with side purlins housed in principal rafters. HISTORICAL NOTE: local tradition asserts that the house was built by Henry VII for his mother, Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond, who was granted the Manor of Ware for life. The name Gilpin House was acquired in the 1880s, when Randloph Cadecott's illustrations renewed the popularity of Cowper's poem. (Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses. Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 198-9; Perman D: Ware UD. List of buildings of special arch or historic interest: 1993-: 48; The Victoria History of the County of Hertford: London: 1912-: 381; Forrester H: Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 43-4; 1890-; East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions: Andrews RT: Gilpin House, Ware: Hertford: 1907-1908: 272-3; Moodey GE: East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter: 34, 38, 41: Hertford: 1974-1976; Hertfordshire Archaeology: Puloy M: Decorative Plasterwork in Hertfordshire: St Albans and Hertford: 1980-1982: 181,PL LXIII/IV/V).

Listing NGR: TL3573514354

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 381
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964), 43-4
Smith, J T, Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory, (1993), 198-9
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, (1980), 181
'Transactions of The East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of The East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 38, (1975)
'Transactions of The East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of The East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 41, (1976)
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, (1981), 181
'Transactions of The East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of The East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 34, (1974)
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, (1982), 181

National Grid Reference: TL3573514354


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 08:03:34.

End of official listing