Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of SOUTHILL PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237988.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 19:52:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 14333 42066



13/225 Southill Park House 16.1.52


Country house. C17 origins, altered earlier C18 (probably by Isaac Ware) for the Byng family, by the addition of wings and pavilions to W and E. Purchased 1795 by Samuel Whitbread I, brewery founder and MP for Bedfordshire. Extensively remodelled 1795-1800 for Samuel Whitbread II by Henry Holland. Holland reworked the central block and the outer pavilions, and rebuilt the linking wings. Walls refaced in Portland and Totternhoe stone. Slate roofs. Central block is of 3 storeys and attics with slightly projecting pedimented bay both to N and S. This block is linked to 2 2-storeyed pedimented pavilions to W and E by ranges of one storey and attics. A basement runs the whole length of the building and is lit from the N. N entrance front: rather plain. The ground floor of the central block and both floors of the side pavilions are rusticated, the rest is in smooth ashlar. 3:4:1:3:1:4:3 window facade, all the original sashes replaced by plate glass casements. The only front entrance is an inconspicuous door in the W bay of the central block. To the centre of the middle bay is a single storey canted bay window. A porte- cochere was added late C19 at the W end, which became the main entrance. A balustrade on the edge of the basement well shields the basement from view. To the E a low 2-storeyed service wing adjoins, of white brick with slate roof. This II window range has a Venetian window at each end, and sash windows with glazing bars in between. S garden front: same arrangement of rustication. Fenestration arranged 3:3:1:3:1:3:3, again mostly with later casements, but retaining some original sashes with glazing bars to the ground floor of the main block and link wings. Portico to central bay of main block, loggie to link wings, all with paired lonic columns and surmounted by balustrades. To E end is later C19 orangery, of red brick, with stone pilasters separating the 6 tall mullion and transom windows. Hipped glass roof. Eaves cornice surmounted by stone urns. Interior: retains most of Holland's original decoration. Hall has some plaster relief sopraportes by George Garrard, whilst the drawing room and boudoir ones are paintings by Sawrey Gilpin. The painted boudoir ceiling and some other panels are by A L Delabriére.

(C Hussey, "Southill Park", Country Life, 12th July 1930, PP 42-48; 19th July 1930, pp.80-86; 26th July 1930, pp.108-114. C Hussey (ed.), Southill, A Regency House, London, 1951. D. Stroud, Henry Holland, His Life and Architecture, London, 1966.)

Listing NGR: TL1433342066


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hussey, C, Southill a Regency House, (1951)
Stroud, D, Henry Holland His Life and Architecture, (1966)
'Country Life' in 26 July, (1930), 108-114
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1930)
'Country Life' in 19 July, (1930), 80-86
'Country Life' in 12 July, (1930), 42-48
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

to top