This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1238063



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Horsington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 415419

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/42 Church of St John the Baptist



Parish church. Mostly C19, with C15 & C18 fragments: rebuilt 1885-87 by Willcox of Bath. Local stone cut and squared, Ham stone ashlar dressings; plain clay tile roofs between coped gables with finials. 4-cell plan with 3-bay chancel, 5-bay nave and South aisle, and South East vestry with organ chamber; North porch and West Tower. In an Early English style mostly. Chancel has plinth, cill course and gabletted corner buttresses; 4-light East windows with C19 tracery under pointed arch with label; simple lancet windows in North wall: on South side the vestry with Organ chmber with single-light windows and an ornamental chimney to East wall; on the South wall a 4-light reticulated traceried flat headed window, and cambered arched doorway set on angle against South Aisle marked by plinth, offset buttreses between bays, & plain parapet with pinnacles; 2-light C19 traceried window. The North wall of the nave has offset corner buttreses only, and incorporates part of an earlier church wall; tall 2-light C19 traceried windows, with central North Porch having diagonal corner buttresses with offsets and pinnacles and simple moulded arch. The West Tower of several dates, with C15 on C16 base and extra stage added in 1738: diagonal corner buttresses with offsets for half height, string course dividing the two stages, and battlemented parapet over second string course with corner pinnacles; small stair turret with angled door to North West corner; tower crowned with small wood turet with lead roof capped with a windvane: lower storeys plain on North and South sides; West face has a blocked C18 doorway under a C15 traceried window without label removed from a house in Stowell, Charlton Horethorne CP, 1709, and incorporated here in 1886; above this a C18 near oval window with architrave; to all faces on the second stage are semi-circular arched windows with architrave, impost blocks and keystones, the windows having wooden baffles: the clockface, on the East side, was for the use of travellers on the now defunct North/South road through the village. The interior is High Victorian, with barrel vault openwork timber roofs, unplastered walls and patterned clay tile floors: carved wood and painted reredos of Italian origin, date unknown; nave and chancel arches nicely detailed, the tower arch filled by an Art Noveau screen of 1902 made by villagers of North Curry. Fittings include an octagonal font of c1400 with double quatrefoil panels. East windows by Kempe, 1886. Fittings inxlude an octagonal font of c1400 with double quatrefoil panels under rim, then shaped bowl with angels to each angle, panelled shaft and less delicate base; wrought chancel screen and openwork pulpit of 1887. Hatchment board of Dodington family (of Horsington House, from 1790- 1922) in undertower space; several C18 monuments in nave to Dodingtons and the Wickham family, who were Rectors from 1686 to 1897. The first recorded Rector was of 1305, but the first mention is a tax record of 1272. Apart from the heightening of the tower in 1738 the church was largely rebuilt in 1818-1819 as well as in 1885-7. (John A Cross, A History and Guide Book of Horsington, undated).

Listing NGR: ST7029723861

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cross, J, A History and Guide Book of Horsington

National Grid Reference: ST7038323715


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1238063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 09:07:23.

End of official listing