Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1238100.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:36:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Burnham Market
National Grid Reference:
TF 83022 42092



12/13 Church of St. 5.6.53. Mary, Burnham West gate.

G.V. I

Parish church of Burnham Westgate. Largely C14, with a heavy restoration of 1872 accounting for most exterior details. Flint with stone dressings, lead roofs, slated chancel,pantiled porch. West tower, 4 bay north and south aisles, south porch, 3 bay chancel. 2 bay north chapel. West tower either C14 with 4 crude "Y" tracery belfry windows, south face earlier work : blocked lower window and a blocked lancet.Angle quoins, south-west and south-east angle and massive stepped C18 brick buttresses. C19 3-light west window and set-off buttress at north-east angle. Fine traceried and figured battlements, dateable on heraldic evidence to c.1500 with arms of William Lexham, Lord of the Manor ob. 1500 and arms of Lady Calthorpe ob. 1511, possibly principal donors. North side : figure of woman in adoration (Blessed Virgin?); God in Glory; Portcullis shield; Death; a King; Shield with M(aria); Adam and Eve; shield with 3 ciboria(?) Executioner with head; St. John the Baptist; Southside: Crucifixion; figure in a Habit (Stigmata of St. Francis?) : shield with Griffin : Abbess with crozier; Abbot with crozier; "M" shield; 2 saints; shield with lion; 2 saints; west side; Attendant with Baptist's head, "M" shield; Herod, Herodias and her daughter dancing; SS Peter and Andrew; "M" shield; S John the Evangelist; S James; shield with IHS; Knights; St. Thomas a Becket saying Mass; East side: Blessed Virgin and Christ child on ass; St. Joseph (the Flight into Egypt); shield with rose; 2 figures (Salutation of St. Elizabeth); "M" shield: Confession of the St. Thomas, Risen Christ; fleur-de-lys shield; Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin. Nave and aisles with C19 tracery. C15 south porch, 2 storeys, set off angle buttresses, arch with hood moulds north and south windows, blocked first floor Perpendicular window with inserted tracery panel and built-in 2 light window, ogee tracery. Nave clere- storey south side has 4 2-light Perpendicular windows with brick stitching to heads, north side 4 windows alternating quatrefoils and trefoils in circles. 3 bay chancel with C19 tracery, except for blocked rectangular squint opening at junction with south aisles. Interior: 3 bay north and south arcades, octagonal piers, double hollow chamfered arches, tower and chancel arches, C14. C18 rococo wall tablet inserted into north clerestorey. C19 roofs. 2 bays C19 north chancel chapel addition. South aisle window 1869 by Powell. Chancel, brass 1523. In tower, a detached C14 stone monumental stone effigy, removed from north aisle 1823.Included grade I for tower battlement sculpture.

Listing NGR: TF8302242092


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15720/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].