CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1238254
Date first listed:
13-Sep-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1238254.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:18:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Somersal Herbert
National Grid Reference:
SK 13610 35158

Details

SK 13 NW PARISH OF SOMERSAL HERBERT CHURCH LANE 1/26 (South Side) 13.9.67 Church of St Peter GV II

Parish church. Rebuilt in 1836 and again in 1874 by C J Neale of Mansfield, probably re-using medieval masonry. West tower 1912, possibly by Currey & Thompson of Derby. Sandstone ashlar and red brick. Welsh slate roofs, stone coped gables with plain kneelers anda cross finial on the east gable. Plain parapets to nave and chancel. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel. West tower in 'Free Gothic' style angle buttresses with three set-offs, castellated parapet. Polygonal stair turretprojects from the north west corner and its parapet rises above the tower parapet. 3-light west window with triangular headed lights, the centre one cusped, under a Gothic arch with almost straight sides. Hoodmould. Small cusped lancets above on three sides. Clock face above again on all four sides. Bell stage has on all faces paired louvred bell openings with Gothic arches with almost straight sides, dying into the imposts. Simple hollow moulding and cusping. Stringcourse at the base of the parapet. The nave and chancel walls run without a break but the two parts are expressed externally by a break in the roofline. On the north side are three buttresses with two set- offs; to the nave, two 3-light windows under flat arches, with cusped lancet lights. One similar 2-light window to the chancel. The south side has three similar buttresses, one against the east wall and one similar 3-light window to the nave. Perp Style east window of 5-lights with hoodmould and moulded surround. Gabled south porch. Red brick with heavy rusticated stone quoins and a massive keyed stone lintel. It is in the style of c1700 but probably dates from 1836, re-using old materials. Interior, triple chamfered tower arch without capitals. Broad, double chamfered Perp Style chancel arch. Nave and chancel roofs have kingpost trusses supported by arched braces on corbels. Early C12 circular tub font with intersecting blind arcading and a frieze of lozenges overlaid with intermittent circles. Tomb recess in the chancel north side with hollow moulding. In the recess the torso and head of a priest with arms folded and a chalice in his lap. Probably early C15. Wall monument (chancel south), aedicule with broken pediment enclosing a coat of arms. Dated 1601. Stained glass. West window c1873 by Wailes. Chancel north window 1896 by Kempe.

Listing NGR: SK1361035158

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415501
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12209/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].