This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1238534



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wincanton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 415960

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/132 Church of St Peter and St Paul



Parish church. Almost totally rebuilt 1887-91 by J D Sedding, parts of tower may be earlier. Local stone finely cut and squared with ashlar dressings; nearly flat lead roofs behind openwork parapet and gables. In a C15 style mostly. Chancel, nave, North aisle and double South aisle, North East organ Chamber/vestry and South East Lady Chapel. Chancel has plinth, offset corner buttresses, coped gable with cross final, and a 5-light C19 traceried East window with low transome and carved sub-panels. Lady Chapel given more prominent treatment with pierced traceried parapet, coping and finial, with 4-light window under ogee arch label leading into statue niche in coping - similar treatment to East organ chamber window. Nave and aisles generally have plinths, offset corner buttresses, parapets, buttresses tween bays; 3-light C19 traceried windows. The south side of 6 bays, of which the second from East has a C18 doorway, probably by Nathaniel Ireson; plain ashlar surround, semi-circular arch with keystone, segmental pediment enclosing sculptures panel of which only 3 angel heads survive; studded doors. West window to nave fine 6-light C15 tracery pattern. North porch, dated 1891 on stackhead, has elaborately traceried North gable with a Calvary scene overlaid, over a deeply moulded pointed open arch, and inside on East wall a stone about 600mm square, found in a wall during the 1735 rebuilding depicting blacksmiths forge and a bishop with a horse, all rather worn, said to be St Eligius. Tower of 3 stages with diagonal offset buttresses to the lower half of stage 1; string courses, crenellated parapet, corner pinnacles; small moulded arch West door and 2-light window over; single light window to North and South stage 1, with stair turret on South East corner under pitched roof to height of most of stage 1: in the two stages above, on all faces, are 2-light windows with flat heads, cusped arched lights, no labels, filled with pierced stone baffles. Interior not accessible during week: reported are the arcade between the South aisles, which could be C15 with its 4-hollow piers, and the glazing to East window, by Clayton and Bell, 1889. First clear mention of church l344, although in 1871 the tower and font were considered to be Cl3; in 1735 the church was regarded as too small and was rebuilt (? by Ireson); Ireson certainly added the chancel and clerestory in 1748; the tower was raised by nearby 4 metres in 1793; structural report of 1885 called for rebuilding & designs by C E Ponting and J D Sedding considered before latter selected. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Sweetman,G. History of Wincanton, c1904).

Listing NGR: ST7110728484

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
Sweetman, G, History of Wincanton, (1903)

National Grid Reference: ST 71107 28484


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1238534 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 12:47:39.

End of official listing