Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1238909.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:05:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 13432 13700



II Anglican church. Built to the designs of John Boham Chantrell in the Decorated style, consecrated 1848. After a major fire of 1987 the church was thoroughly rebuilt to the designs of Richard Shepley under the direction of the vicar, the Reverend Ian Jackson, the church re-dedicated in 1990. Squared stone brought to course; freestone dressings; slate roofs; lead roof to vestry. Externally the plan reads as nave with N and S aisles, chancel with SE vestry, S porch and W tower. The internal plan is the old chancel screened off from the former nave, which is the main worship area, with the W end 2 storeys including an organ chamber, meeting rooms, offices, kitchen etc.

EXTERIOR: The exterior of the 1848 phase is lavishly decorated with carving. Buttressed 3-bay chancel with angle buttresses with decorated gablets at the corners and a 5-light E window with Geometric Decorated tracery and 2-light N and S windows. There is a moulded eaves cornice carved with foliage and figures. 5-bay N and S sides have angle buttresses at the corners, buttresses to the bays and 2-light Decorated style windows. Ribbon windows with square leaded panes have been introduced under the eaves as part of the post-fire rebuilding. S porch with angle buttresses with niches in them, a moulded doorway with 2-leaf lattice work timber door and a statue niche in the gable. Fine tower with decorated angle buttresses which rise as octagonal pinnacles with gablets and crocketted finials above an openwork parapet. The S face of the tower has a small doorway presumably to the original internal stair turret, and pairs of belfry windows with central shafts Decorated tracery. The N and S faces each have trefoil-headed windows. 3-light Decorated W window. The vestry has a 2-light Decorated traceried E window and a square-headed S window adjacent to a shoulder-headed doorway. Over the doorway is a very large C19 stone sundial with a traceried iron gnomon.

INTERIOR: Unplastered walls to the nave and existing worship area. Visible survivals of the C19 church are the chancel arch, moulded and double-chamfered on semi-circular responds with capitals and the octagonal responds of the former aisles against the chancel wall. The responds are crowned with classical figures. The piscina survives on the S wall of the old chancel. The 2 western bays on the N and S arcades have been absorbed into the 2-storey W end block. The post-fire rebuilding includes new octagonal piers with capital-like timber elements. These are built outside the line of the old arcade to support the new roof. Behind the old chancel arch there is white canted screen with a full-height internal glazed window above 2-leaf door. At the W end there is an organ gallery. Elegant post-fire fittings include a font with a pyramidal metal bowl set in a plain square section stone plinth with a font cover suspended on chains over it. The cover is wide metal canopy with a peaked roof and cylindrical timber corner shafts. Metal and timber communion rail; ceilure over the altar table. The western portion includes as stair with good iron balustrade.

An 1848 building of fine quality and rich in carved detail, of which the tower survives unaltered. The serious 1987 fire damage resulted in many changes to the main body of the church.

Sources Pevsner, Yorkshire: The West Riding, 1967 edn., 84.

Listing NGR: SE1343213700


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 84


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03909/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].