CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1239499
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1239499.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:17:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Uffington
National Grid Reference:
SJ 52806 13890

Details

SJ 51 SW UFFINGTON C.P. UFFINGTON

3/78 Church of the Holy 13.6.58 Trinity

- II

Parish church. 1856 by S. Pountney Smith, on site of medieval church. Yellow sandstone ashlar; tiled roof with verge parapets and gabled belfry to west apex. Nave and chancel under one roof, north aisle. Early English in inspiration. Nave and chancel: south side has diagonal buttresses and continuous eaves band with fleuron decoration, raised strings at impost and cill level of windows: 4 1/2 pairs of lancets, the single window to west of a gabled timber framed porch and the last pair to the east of a small lean-to chapel (possibly an addition) with a triple lancet window. Rose window to east end over 3 lancets, single central lancet to west unusually set in a pilaster strip. North aisle: 4 pairs of lancets with a pointed 2-light window to the west end and a trefoil-shaped light to the east over the round arch, boarded vestry door. Interior: roofs with arch- braced collars and king posts; 3-bay north aisle arcade with circular piers and dogtooth decorated moulded arches; vestry and organ chamber arches, triple sedilia, and trefoiled piscina; circa 1856 fittings include altar rails, octagonal stone pulpit, choir stalls and tub font; stained glass: roundels of C16-C17 Netherlandish glass in north aisle windows and C17 German glass in south windows. The church is said to incorporate some fragments of medieval masonry west of the porch. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol.7, .624; B.o.E., p.305.



Listing NGR: SJ5280613890

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
417391
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 624
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 305

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15395/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Baldwin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].