CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1239733
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, LOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1239733.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:37:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, LOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
Scrooby
National Grid Reference:
SK 65220 90754

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/09/2016

SK 69 SE 1/119

SCROOBY, LOW ROAD (west side), Church of St. Wilfrid

(Formerly known as SCROOBY, LOW ROAD (west side), Church of St. Wilfred)

1.2.67

G.V.

II

Parish Church. Early C15. South aisle and porch early C16, restored 1864, C20. Ashlar with slate roofs, embattled parapets to all but the porch, single ridge cross. Buttressed and set on a plinth with moulded string course over. Tower with octagonal spire, nave, south aisle and chapel, south porch, chancel. The tower of 2 stages with string course at the junction has a 3-light arched west window with cusping, hoodmould and label stops. In the belfry are 4 arched 2-light openings. The angles of the tower parapet are chamfered and have single small diagonal buttresses rising to the height of the merlons and supporting crocketed pinnacles. The spire is topped with a weather vane. Over the south belfry opening is a C20 clock face, under the string course to the north and south are single metal crosses. The north wall has 3 restored windows each with 3 cusped arched lights under a flat head with hoodmould and label stops over. Abutting the tower and north wall is a low ashlar C20 lean-to with flue rising to the parapet. The diagonally buttressed east wall has bases at the parapet angles for crocketed pinnacles now lying in the churchyard. There is an arched 4-light C19 chancel window with panel tracery, cusping, hoodmould and label stops. The east window of the south aisle has 3 arched lights under a flat head with hoodmould. The south front has 3 windows each with 3 arched lights under a flat head with hoodmould over which extends to a guttering band. Between the 2 eastern most windows is an arched doorway with moulded surround and hoodmould. The parapeted south porch has a double chamfered arched entrance with triangular hoodmould. The interior stone roof is supported on 2 transverse arches supported in turn on corbels. The inner doorway is arched with worn moulding and a C20 wooden door. The west end of the south aisle has a single window with 3 arched cusped lights under a flat head with hoodmould over.

INTERIOR: 3 bay nave arcade with octagonal piers and responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The double chamfered tower arch has a single C19 foliate decorated capital either side. The inner arch of the double chamfered chancel arch is supported on single 1/2 columns with C19 foliate decorated capitals. C19 corbels support the roof. In the aisle are 2 C16 oak benches with carved ends and back. In the chapel is a similarly carved bench. There is a C17 decoratively carved chair. The pulpit, lectern and font are C19. Above the south door is an ashlar memorial plaque dated 1760.

Scrooby harboured a Separatist Puritan group, 1606-8, which fled to Holland in 1608 and then in 1620 sailed to America in the Mayflower. William Brewster, one of the Pilgrim Fathers and a ruling elder, worshipped in Scrooby Church.

Listing NGR: SK6522090754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
417319
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06760/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].