CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1239776
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1239776.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:37:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
Sutton
National Grid Reference:
SK 68089 84975

Details

SK 68 SE SUTTON CHURCH LANE (west side)

6/127 Church of St. Bartholomew 1.2.67 I

Parish church, C12, C14, C15,restored 1857. Ashlar with some coursed rubble with single ridge, nave, chancel and porch crosses. Buttressed and set on a moulded plinth with a string course running over. Tower, nave, north aisle and chapel, chancel and south porch. The angle buttressed tower of base and 2 stages has a C15 arched 3-light west window with panel tracery. There is a hoodmould over and a string course under. The bell chamber has 4 C15 2-light arched openings each with panel tracery, cusping, hoodmould and label stops. The tower is embattled with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Guttering runs under, having 2 gargoyles to each side. Under the south and east bell chamber openings are single C20 clock faces. There is a single small rectangular light to the south wall, with 3 similar to the west. The angle buttressed and embattled north aisle has in the west wall a single window with 2 arched lights under a flat head. The north wall has a chamfered arched doorway and 4 windows, each with 3 lights under a flat head. The eastern most 3 are in smaller openings and were probably once arched. The angle buttressed east wall has a single window with 5 arched lights under a flat head. At the angle is a crocketed pinnacle. The east chancel has a large restored C14 arched 5-light window with elaborate and fine curvilinear tracery with cusping. Over is a hoodmould and label stops. To the right, above the string course, is a niche with cusped ogee arch. Over is a hoodmould with label stops and crocketed finial. The parapet has corner crocketed pinnacles. The south wall is embattled with 6 crocketed pinnacles. The guttering has small gargoyles. The south chancel has 2 restored C14 arched 3-light windows with fine curvilinear tracery with cusping, hoodmoulds and label stops. In the centre is an arched doorway with open cusped tracery under the arch decorated with 2 foliate carved orbs, with hoodmould and label stops over. The south nave has 2 restored C14 arched 3- light windows with tracery, cusping, hoodmoulds and label stops. The buttressed and embattled south porch has crocketed pinnacles at the angles, with single similar pinnacles to the east and west walls. There is a double chamfered arch with moulded imposts and hoodmould with label stops over. The interior roof of stone is supported on transverse arches. The inner doorway, originally taller, narrower and arched, now has a flat head with late C15 wooden door with blind tracery. Interior. A 3 bay arcade with octagonal piers, plain moulded capitals, double chamfered arches and responds separates nave and aisle. There is a double chamfered tower arch, the inner arch being supported on corbels. The restored C12 moulded chancel arch is supported either side on 2 engaged shafts with scalloped capitals. Between north aisle and north chapel is a section of a chamfered arch, supported at the north by a single capital upon a corbel. Chancel and north chapel are separated by a 3 bay arcade of octagonal columns with plain moulded capitals supporting double chamfered arches. In the south chancel wall is a tripartite sedilia and piscina, each with arch over. The east wall has a small corbel for a statue. In the south wall of the north chapel is an arched niche, in the north wall is a horizontal rectangular niche and a C14 tomb recess under a cusped and sub-cusped ogee arch, with hoodmould, label stops and finial over. Rising from the stops are single shafts with foliate decorated finials. In the eastern most arcade bay of the chancel is an early C16 screen. There are similarly designed later screens under the tower arch between the north aisle and north chapel and in the western most bay of the chancel arcade. There are several late C15 pews with blind tracery and poppy heads. In the chancel are 2 early C17 carved oak benches and a carved chair. In the nave is a C15 oak almsbox and a heavy C15 oak chest, both with ironwork. The font and pulpit are both C19. On the north aisle wall is a monument to John D'Arcy Clark, 1838. With a swag on the apron and an urn on the crown. There is a similar one, 1842 to George Clark. The south chancel wall has a monument by J. H. Worth, Retford. In the tower is a hatchment donated by Sir Kay Ed. Cookson, 1799 and an alms board.

Listing NGR: SK6809384974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
417780
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06118/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].