Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EBBA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240418.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:27:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 10365 55450



(East side, off) Ebchester 17/48 Church of St. Ebba 6/6/51 (Formerly listed as St Ebba's Church) GV II* Parish church. C12, extensively rebuilt in 1892 by C.H. Fowler; tower added and nave extended and other work done in 1910 by G.T. Wilson. Sandstone rubble, except for lower course of massive blocks; some blocks and quoins of coarse sandstone; tower snecked sandstone; ashlar dressings; stone-flagged roof. Restorations in Romanesque style with round-headed windows, except for Perpendicular-style west window. Nave with north tower and boiler-room; chancel with south vestry, choir-vestry and organ chamber. 3-stage tower with single buttress has double doors in triple-chamfered round-headed surround. Small window above; clock in raised surrounding mould in next stage and belfry opening above, all under dripmoulds. Top cornice and parapet, stepped up at corners, with roll moulding. 4-bay nave and lower 3-bay chancel have mostly small windows in north and south walls, slightly chamfered except in west. Original windows survive in east bay of chancel, and some others in north wall; large east window; and large Perpendicular west window. Part of Roman altar built into west wall. Gabled bellcote has paired 2-centred-arched openings. Stone cross finials. Interior: sandstone rubble except for large blocks in first course and patches of coursed masonry, with ashlar dressings; collar-truss roof; low-pitched panelled chancel roof with painted decoration on ribs and frieze. East window has moulded round arch on shafts with scallop capitals; other windows have deeply-splayed reveals and stepped sills with inserted lintels in chancel; restored windows copy originals. Plain semicircular chancel arch on impost bands. Wide rectangular aumbry in wall to left of altar has top hinge-pins and rebated surround. Rerearch to west window. Round-headed tower-arch has chamfered head. Glass in east window to Robert S. Surtees, died 1864, and Anthony Surtees died 1871; Gothic style. Later C19 glass in west window. Font in style of Norman pillar has moulded narrow bowl on stout irregular pedestal which tapers towards base. Monuments include 2 in chancel; in memory of Anthony Surtees of Hamsterley Hall died 1838, and his wife Alice died 1837; white marble, with drapery and Prince of Wales feathers, on black mount; and a white marble slab in black marble frame, signed Davies and Jopling, with guttae, and draped urn, commemorating Robert and Ann Surtees of Milk Well Burn, died 1811. Painted Creed, Commandments and Our Father panels on east wall. Re-used Roman altar built into porch wall. The church is built within the Roman fort Vindomora.

Listing NGR: NZ1036555450


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00713/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].