CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1240725
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240725.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:02:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Hascombe
National Grid Reference:
TQ 00181 39542

Details

TQ 03NW HASCOMBE C.P. SCHOOL LANE

10/170 Church of St. Peter

GV II*

Church. 1864 by Henry Woodyer. Rough-coursed galleted sandstone with ashlar dressings; plain tiled roof with wood shingled broach spire and bellcote. Nave and north aisle with independently roofed chapel to south, bellcote to west, chancel to east, vestry to north east and porch to south west. Offset buttresses and paired lancet fenestration in C13 style, with smooth ashlar surrounds to windows. Quatrefoil panels between windows on south side. Diagonal and clasping buttresses to chapel. Plinth and sill course to four "shouldered" lancets under continuous hood moulding. Trefoil window and door to west end of chapel with door in shallow forward break. Large 3-light and trefoil windows to east and west of the chapel. Coved eaves on chancel with apsidal east end. Four windows to south, two windows to north, either side of easternmost buttress containing window. C20 vestry to north of chancel. Three paired and one single lancet to north side of church. West front:- Three-light window with three blind quatrefoils and nook shafts. Three louvred openings to each face of bellcote above. Gabled porch to south with braced entrance posts and V-strut roof. Arched openings to sides. Roll moulding around south door. Interior:- Unusually complete mid-Victorian scheme of decoration. Nave walls painted with the "miraculous draught of fishes" in 1890 in gold and blue. Patterned tile floor on nave. Detached nook shafts and rear arches to window surrounds. Richly decorated chancel and apse. Roof rafters cusped and gilded, deep east lancet made up into a rich composition with the wall surface adjoining used as a reredos, mosaic and marble inlaid. Candleholder sconces in shape of angels with stencilled decoration and rich decoration of soffit of chancel arch. Font - 1690, from the old church. Square stone bowl on square stem. C15 Rood screen, restored in 1864 and decorated by Hardman and Powell. Stained glass also by Hardman and Powell. Monument - West Wall. Dedicated to William Middlefield, died 1785. By T. Hews Neo-classical style. Grey marble ground with flanking Cherubim and mourning female figure in Classical dress. Inscription panel below with scrolls and garlands flanking oval relief.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp.302-3. V.C.H. Surrey (1967 Ed) Vol. III pp.102-4.

Listing NGR: TQ0018139542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
439128
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 102-4
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 302-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02383/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Olding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].