CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1240728
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, A692

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240728.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:03:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, A692

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 15134 53457

Details

NZ 15 SE STANLEY A 692 (North side) Dipton 7/130 Church of St. John II Parish church. 1885-6 by Oliver and Leeson; mason William Foster, Durham. Some restoration of south transept roof and addition of vestry after fire. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; roof of purple, green and blue slates with stone gable copings. Early English style. Nave with south porch; transepts; crossing tower; chancel with south vestry and north boiler room and organ chamber. Gabled porch has wide-chamfered open 2-centred arch under dripmould; side buttresses; 2- and 3-light windows in nave and transepts, stepped 5-light west window and east windows, all in 2- centred-arched panels; sill string, stepped to west window; west end buttresses and one nave buttress. Tower has paired 2-light windows with plate tracery under moulded corbel table and roll-moulded stepped battlemented parapet; high hipped roof with wrought-iron weather-cock. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced collared roof trusses on stone corbels. Wide 2-centred arches at crossing, plain chamfered plaster to nave and transepts; chancel arch chamfered ashlar with similar inner corbelled arch, on stop-chamfered responds with impost string. Chamfered 2- centred rerearches to all windows. Sill string; in chancel, stepped to form drip over transept door to vestry; mask-stopped drip over vestry door in chancel. Plain glass in geometric patterns and simple colours. Octagonal Gothic-style stone font. First World War memorial plaque. Source: Dipton and Collierly Parish Magazine, April, May and June 1855.

Listing NGR: NZ1513453457

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
439238
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Dipton and Collierly Parish Magazine' in April, (1885)
'Dipton and Collierly Parish Magazine' in May, (1885)
'Dipton and Collierly Parish Magazine' in June, (1885)
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41759

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05547/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].