CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1240887
Date first listed:
19-Jul-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240887.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:18:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stanley
National Grid Reference:
NZ 18763 55478

Details

NZ 1855 STANLEY FRONT STREET (North side) Tanfield 18/170 Church of St.Margaret 19/7/50 GV II Parish church. Nave dated 1749, tower dated 1853, chancel dated 1864, remodelling dated 1878, the latter by Austin, Johnson and Hicks (brass panel in tower describes it as 'remodelled, restored, new seated and new organ'). 1853 and 1864 by public subscription with large contributions from John Eden of Beamish Park, and James Joicey and Company, coal owners. Sandstone ashlar with plinth and quoins; graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone gable copings; Welsh slate roof on north tower vestry. West tower with north vestry; aisled nave; chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Tower has double boarded doors, with elaborate hinges and lift-scutcheon latch, under fanlight in moulded, shafted round-headed arch; inscription with date above; tall shouldered light above, and 2-light shouldered belfry openings under corbel table and battlemented parapet; west front of tower has shafted round- headed window with paired round-headed lights and plate tracery; clock above. 4-bay nave has 2-light square-headed Perpendicular windows(replacing C18 round- headed windows, of which traces remain) and impost band; lancets in 3-bay chancel, with 3 stepped east lancets; buttresses between bays, angle to tower and chancel, with setbacks. Date panel on nave below impost band at left, and sundial with gnomon above. Roof continuous over aisles, with stone cross finials, and wrought iron vane on tower. Wrought iron foot-scraper. Interior: painted plaster above panelled dado; painted ashlar dressings; panelled chancel; panelled flat nave roof on corbelled wall-posts and low- pitched panelled chancel roof, with Tudor-flower freizes. Triple-chamfered 2-centred arcades springing without capitals from round columns; similar style chancel and tower arches. Perpendicular style rood screen; Communion rail on fat twist balusters; carved wood altar in Gothic style with 3 medallions and 4 apostle figures. Romanesque piscina in north wall. Gothic organ 1907 by Walker. Large raised font, of Frosterley, Devonian and white marble with octagonal bowl on pedestal and 4 shafts; commemorates Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. Perpendicular-style font cover inscribed to T. Duncombe Eden, died 1899. Geometrical glass with figures, in chancel, dated 1864; later glass in aisles, one window signed with mark of mailed hand and ribbon. Monuments include C17 heraldic slabs to members of Tempest and Ripon families; white marble mourning figure and sarcophagus with portrait medallion, on north aisle wall, to Dorothea Melden Eden, by Bedford of London; broken column in south aisle to George Rippon by Jopling of Newcastle.

Listing NGR: NZ1876355478

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
439450
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09250/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].